Help! I need advice on moorage in Vancouver / Richmond

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Pethe's_Dory, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Pethe's_Dory

Pethe's_Dory New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm an avid rower, and I'm about to take my most ambitious trip of my life. I'm rowing from Seattle, WA to Vancouver, BC. I'm familiar with the Washington State Marine Trails, and have my route firmly planned all the way up to Point Roberts. However, I'm a little puzzled about where I can park the boat overnight after I cross the border.

Does anyone know of any paddle clubs, kayak rental shops, wood boat groups, rowing association, or affordable moorage in Richmond and/or Vancouver? I would like to split the trip from Point Roberts to Vancouver into two days. I'd like to find a place around Richmond or on the mouth of the Frazier River for the first night and somewhere by English Harbor or Vancouver Harbor while I'm in town. I'm more than happy to help out, volunteer, or allow safe usage of the boat in help cover costs of moorage.

The boat I'm rowing is a Golden River Dory, and it's about 15'6" in length. It has about 2" to 3" draft, and I can easily pull it ashore. I don't need an on-the-water slip, just some place to tie up / lock it up for the night. If there is a dolly or someone to help carry, I can easily move it over land.

I'm leaving for the trip this Friday, July 22nd, and should be up in Richmond by July 28th or 29th. I'm planning on leaving on August 4th or 5th.

I would love any help or suggestions you might be able to give me. Feel free to send me an email at Ty.Pethe@gmail.com.

Thanks,
    Ty.

2. Moose

Moose Paddler

I'm not sure if you are doing camping-on-the-beach, or what you accomadations are, but I believe in Canada, unlike the the US, everything up to the high-tide line is Crown land, meaning it is public access. In otherwords, the rich mansions on the waterfront don't own the beach.

Now I am not sure how that all pans out once you are in dense urban areas.

This doesn't solve your problem, but it might give you some options, say, if it was low tide during the evening.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Your best bet would probably be to contact some of the marinas in the area to see if they can accommodate you. I suspect that most of them would have facilities and services to help you out.

Good luck with your endeavor!

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

While it is true that you have legal access to land below the high tide line (in most cases), it is generally accepted that you land on those beaches only if you are experiencing problems and need to find a safe haven -- I certainly would not consider camping on a beach in front of someone's home. People's privacy should be respected.

5. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

The kayak rental place in Ladner has dockside boat storage that they rent by the month. I'm sure, if you contacted the owner ahead of time, he could accommodate you for one night. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place or the owner's contact info but I'm sure there are people on this site that do.

6. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Kaymaran Adventure Tours Inc
    Elliott Street Wharf (Kiosk) , Ladner, BC
    Phone: 604.946.7507
    Email: katdockops@gmail.com
    alternatively their retail store (may be easier to contact) is:
    Steveston Bicycle & Kayak Shoppe
    #105-6111 London Road
    Richmond BC V7E 3S3
    Phone: 604.271.5544

Hope this helps, good luck with the trip.