HELP --- my inflatable popped !!!!! :(

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by cyberhun, Aug 20, 2006.

1. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

I guess I pumped a little too much air into my sevylor rio inflatable. It's one of these:

http://images.shipstore.com/ss/images/SEV/SEVKCC305.JPG

The sun was very strong, and as all well-educated suba divers know, if you double the temperature of a gas, you double the pressure (Boile's Law) --- long story short, the air heated up and expanded inside an air-chamber and it started making a hissing noise from somewhere it shouldn't have been --- sure enough, when I looked there was a two or three millimeter-long split right next to a seam that was venting air at a goodly rate. When I bought this sevylor it was used and I forgot to bring the patch kit and I don't know if I can still get the patch kit or not. Probably not, but I'm still trying, maybe I still can.
    From looking at the blue, plastic-like material from which the leaking air-chamber is fabricated, I don't think it's the same as bicycle inner-tube material so standard inner tube patch kits won't work (or will they?). Anyone have any ideas about patching this bad boy? The affected air-chamber is the starboard bouyancy cylinder, not the single, structural rigidity chamber on the bottom that resembles a narrow air mattress. The split is near the bow, halfway up, on the inside right next to a three or four millimeter high ridge formed when two edges were joined (the seam), so unfortunately the surface next to the leak is not flat. I tried a field repair with duct-tape but because of the protruding ridge of the seam, it didn't work properly and I had to forget about paddling, sigh.
    :(
    Thankfully this didn't happen just prior to my last major three day trip around Pitt Lake!

2. ztar

ztar Paddler

What's the rest of the story? If you couldn't paddle, what'd you do? Swim? Walk?

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Aquaseal usually does the job on these splits. If it is vinyl, get a vinyl patch kit from Canadian Tyre or similar. Oh, BTW, that's Charles' law, not Boyles'.

4. SilverDave

SilverDave Paddler

And not only is it neither Charles' Law, nor Boyles but classically, the ideal gas law, or 'Gay Lussacs Law" but.... You have to double the Temp in degrees Kelvin, not in degrees centigrade ... I doubt if your temp went from 300 K to 600K..... unless your lake was molten lava ... LOL LOL

(I think the two Dave's have a background in Physical Chemistry ??)

If the Can Tire Vinyl repair kit does not hold... (try clamping the folded over patch and the glue with the chamber deflated)... Then a patch made out of "Goop" glue and vinyl patch material , clamped for a day will certainly hold...[/quote]

5. SilverDave

SilverDave Paddler

Agh .. You cannot edit ?

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Nope. But, you are correct -- it is Gay Lussac's Law. Mea Culpa, and four lashes with a length of surgical tubing to my bare back!

7. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

OK, those sound like good, practical suggestions.

OK, those sound like good, practical suggestions. I'm not very familiar with gluing vinyl but the old, "clamp-it-for-day" trick always worked for wood. Thanks.
    As for the "rest of the story", there isn't really any more to the story. I cursed and railed for a while, then just put it back in the trunk, and went home.
    Oh, and no, the temperature doesn't need to be anywhere near that of molten rock to rupture an already filled-to-capacity air chamber. I just made the point that increasing temperature increases the pressure. Doubling the temp does indeed double the volume --- I didn't say I wasn't referring to absolute temperature. However, I did misidentify the name of the law, and if you want to get nit-picky, fine --- When you're posting to a webforum you're using client/server software --- two programs running (usually) on two computers, in this case your computer and the westcoastpaddler's server. Sometimes when you click the submit button it can take several seconds for the server box to recieve the data from the client (your computer), process it, send a reply back to the client and for the client machine to display that all of this has been done. So, instead of clicking the submit button again and again, try clicking once and then waiting 5 or 10 seconds. Ultimately this will be faster than dealing with multiple identical posts, and you'll have more time to find errors in other people's posts.
    :)
    LOL.