Hiking and packrafting the length of Kodiak Island

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Philip.AK, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

Hey folks. I just finished a 110-mile, 6-day hiking and packrafting trip up the length of Kodiak Island from Alitak on the south end to the city of Kodiak on the north end. Check it out if you have 8 minutes to spare: Hiking and Packrafting from Alitak to Kodiak :big_thumb

2. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

What a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing :big_thumb

3. pls_dave

pls_dave Paddler

Another great video of what looks like was an awesome trip. Love watching your trip report posts Phil, always a pleasure.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

That is one terrific slice of Kodiak. And a ton of bushwacking. Really appreciate the map.

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

Good one!

6. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

Re: bushwhacking...

We have had precious little snowpack below 2,000' elevation the past two winters. Essentially none. The usual snow will flatten the grass and give the salmonberry canes pause, and sort of reset the really thick undergrowth. The problem recently is that the lack of snow and longer growing season means that last year's brush is still at full strength and only gets reinforced by this year's growth. We are basically at 2x power brush. You don't so much hike as swim through the stuff. Animals do create trails, but you can only feel the path with your feet as a slight lowering of resistance to swinging your leg forward. At head level, it's all a uniform sea of angry, antagonistic green. Thankfully the trails do exist though, and when you find a bear/deer trail, and can follow it by feel, life is a tiny bit better. The rest of the time you walk in a river or get really good at the veg breast stroke. I will say that Kodiak has the most watchable wildlife that I have ever encountered anywhere. This place is teeming, all the time. It's pretty cool. :big_thumb

7. LAM

LAM Paddler

Simply amazing. :clap: Thank you for sharing.

Lila

8. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Excellent video. I am familiar with breast stroking the veg. I liked seeing the bear stop and look at you with his mouth full of sedge like, "huh whose there". Thanks for posting.

9. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Just making the connection between you and the studly kayaker who made the Kodiak to Homer video (https://vimeo.com/46725100) I was shown a few days ago.

Back story - I just returned from Kodiak where I did a 2 week volunteer stint on the Shuyak beach cleaning project. A nice guy named Hans volunteered to host me after we got back until my flight out. After cooking us halibut dinner Sunday night, he showed me and 2 of the other cleanup volunteers that video of his son (who I now know is you), along with a few others you made. Impressive kayaking/outdooring/video production.

I was the guy who he had to drop off at the airport after he had dinner with you on Monday.

10. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

Funny, but I just got back from Shuyak. You guys did an amazing job with the cleanup! The place looks awesome!! I will probably go up to help haul the supersacks off the beaches in early September.

I went up with 3 friends and we flew into and out of Port William on the south side of the island, and then we toured up the western coast before swinging down into the interior of the island via Party Cape at the NW corner. We did a day trip out to the Perevalnie Islands at the NE corner, which is the jumping off point for the crossing through the Barren Islands to the Kenai Peninsula. Anyway, we had a great trip in an amazing place...

Hiking and packrafting Shuyak Island 2016

11. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I get no video when I click the link. :( What am I doing wrong?

12. Philip.AK

Philip.AK Paddler

Dunno. Try pasting this into your browser: vimeo.com/180702691

13. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Worked for me. Hopefully it worked for you to cut and paste the URL he gave.