• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Homage to the Inukshuk

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
We've all seen them. For many they're things of beauty. To some they're eyesores. But everyone has to agree that these piles of rocks on our landscapes are nothing more than indicators that others have been there before us.

Here's an opportunity to post your favourite pictures of lovable inukshuks that you've come across.

This one was on Lanezi Lake on the Bowron Lake circuit:

inukshuk01.jpg

DarrenM"s brilliant reasoning has won me over. I'm not going to make anymore post on this topic. Instead I'm going over to his place, I'm going to steal as many of his garden gnomes as I can pack into my gas guzzling Hummer and the thirty five foot wide body trailer I tow. I'm then going to Victoria where pass some waste matter into the Strait. Then I'm going to place one of his gnomes on as many islets as I can. I'll post pictures. :twisted:

Glock :wink:

If you don't like this type of stone structure, don't go to parts of Norway. I have just returned from a driving trip around the fiord country. In places there are literally hundreds of these "inukshuks?" anywhere there are the rocks to build them. The one's pictured here were in a National Park.

I wondered if they were some form of homage to the Trolls who are supposed to inhabit Norway.

http://static.flickr.com/122/264116764_549ef39542.jpg

Having seen several of these "originals" in the High arctic, I can apreiciate them completely. Above the tree line, where the horizon all looks the same, the Inuit used these as navigational land marks. Just on the horizon you will see one. As you make your way to it and look far on the horizon you will se another, and so on and so on. They are not the size of these little ones people replicate at the side of the highway or on the beach but sometimes , several metres tall. Rankin Inlet has one right in the middle of town.

mick_allen said:
nothing to add to the rock crock of cairn drivel, but that is a neat link, doug!

on one of them - what an amazing set of ways to put up a tarp! just love it!

http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

thanks

hey Mick;
thanks for the tarp link. :( my house is now decorated with little paper shelters. scaled an inch to the foot. :D
DarenN.......

Doug, Monster takes some neat shots doesn't he?

The write up he did for that trip was also REALLY interesting. It was reading his and another gents from BC that helped me make up my mind to pack in the yaks and get back into an open boat for coastal exploring.

Komatiq said:
Doug, Monster takes some neat shots doesn't he?
Yup, Andrew does a lot of paddling and takes some very nice photos.

He and I (and a few others) are doing a trip together in a few weeks.

:idea: Next time I venture out to a remote wilderness area I'll make sure and pack a chain saw so I can carve some cool looking totem poles for everyone to enjoy

fester said:
:idea: Next time I venture out to a remote wilderness area I'll make sure and pack a chain saw so I can carve some cool looking totem poles for everyone to enjoy
Cool. But you don't need a chainsaw to make a totem... no sense in getting the neighbours upset with you with all that noise.

Komatiq said:
He and I (and a few others) are doing a trip together in a few weeks.
Dan, you doing an open boat again ? Better watch that, you'll catch the bug before you know it........ :lol:
Nope, I'll be in my kayak.

Not that I have anything against canoes...

Back