Home made camera mounts

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by qajaq8, May 14, 2008.

1. qajaq8

qajaq8 Paddler

Just finished putting together a lower profile mount for my Canon S1 IS in its scuba housing. My first one (not shown) was gargantuan in comparison, almost 7" tall without the camera. This one is about 4.75" (w/o the camera) once you push the suction cups down. Haven't tried it this new one out yet... hopefully this upcoming weekend.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/qajaq8/Came ... r_projects

I have used the smaller camera mount and it managed to stay put during a play session at the Deschenes Rapids.
    http://tinyurl.com/5oh59c

(Well, okay, I didn't really push it to see if it'd stay on during a capsize and roll. But can you blame a guy who just got a tooth extracted a week earlier for not wanting to capsize yet?)

The suction cups were sourced from Canadian Tire. They're located in the roof racks in the auto section as they're for making your own roof rack. The ball mounts are from Henrys.

The plastic is just regular HDPE sheets left over from a Yost SOF project.
    Didn't use stainless hardware as this is just a prototype. I don't think the ball mount isn't stainless either (the body looks like anodized aluminum).

But there's a catch to assembling the small camera mount. The suction cup accepts a machine bolt with M6 1.0 thread. And of course, the ball head is your standard 1/4"-20 so you'll need to make your own dual threaded bolt.

Alf.

2. andreas

andreas Paddler

Nice!

3. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

Mark Sanders, a paddling friend in Costa Mesa, California (www.sandmarks.net) uses an interesting paddle-mount for some of his shots (some of which are amazingly good). Here is a pic of him using it: [​IMG]

4. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Neat idea! Then you'd never have to put down the paddle if you were taking shots in the rough stuff...

5. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

Any updates, Alf? Curious to know how it has been working since May...

6. qajaq8

qajaq8 Paddler

I was out in Nova Scotia this summer. We mounted a video camera on to it. (Sorry no videos as it wasn't my camera). Worked okay, except salt build up causes the ball joint to seize up. Except I find it's a little too tall. If you put it forward enough to be out of the way, it's too far to operate. Too close, you hit it with your paddle shaft.

One thing I'd do differently is make the base square or trapezoidal and rout some slots for webbing instead of rope.

I prefer my single suction cup mount for my Olympus. But the image and movie quality suffers when compared to the S1. :(

I'll try removing that large rubber washer and see how that goes. Only problem now is that the water is slowly solidifying over here.

Alf.

7. cattail

cattail Paddler

[​IMG]

This is a mount I made similar to Marks after seeing his up close last week.
    I mounted it to my paddle like he does and shot some great stills and video but for the best video I moved it off the paddle to the deck bag for less shaking around.
    It was out of the way of the paddle and still within reach.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vui47g8DMIc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vui47g8DMIc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>