Homemade Kayak Carrier?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by SoCalJeff, Feb 29, 2008.

1. SoCalJeff

SoCalJeff Paddler

I am toying with the idea of building my own kayak carrier that will be used on a truck rack.

Has anyone here ever built or thought of building their own carrier/saddles for transporting their kayak by car or truck? Any thoughts on design or pro/cons of doing this?

Thanks in advance for all the shared knowledge and experience!

-JEFF

2. Roy

Roy Paddler

here are some nice ones
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Wow - some nice stuff there!

I didn't get quite that fancy, but I did make some cradles for my previous rack system. I started by deciding what part of the hull would rest on the rack, and created cardboard templates of the hull shape at each of those two points. I then constructed cradles to match the hull shape at each point (my cradles were about 3 1/2" wide), and covered them with some scrap carpet. The result was a solid, secure cradle system that matched each boat perfectly. If you follow this procedure, remember to note on each cradle the boat and end (bow/stern) that it matches, since each cradle will be slightly different. It may not be quite as artistic as the examples above, but it's secure and provides a perfect match to your hull shape, and it's relatively quick and easy to do (as long as you have access to a reasonably well-equipped workshop). I had 4 cradles rattled off in an afternoon, before paint and varathane.

4. Roy

Roy Paddler

5. kelly t

kelly t Paddler

6. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Just a reminder for those of you who are using factory roof racks like some of he previous pictures show. Those fiberglass racks do not have any metalic reinforcement in them. I'd sure hate to hear of another person loosing a yak because their roof rack broke.

7. SoCalJeff

SoCalJeff Paddler

Thank you all for the great ideas & photos! Now I may have a way to use some of the remaining fiberglass and epoxy once the boat is done!

-JEFF

8. Doug

Doug Paddler

I used some 1/4" x 4"wide popular boards and bent them. Once bent I reinforced with 1 layer of fiberglass. I needed to reinforce the bend because the wood split a bit. I used a heat gun for the bending, I think soaking and steam bending would have worked much better. I use the racks on our minivan and I have a hard time getting a boat up and over the front part of the kayak carrier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I gotta replace the blue foam... and cut down the front part.

I bought one of these to help get the boat up onto the rack: yakima boatloader

Here is a nice option for loading a boat flat, which is probably easier for a truck or high vehicle: http://members.aol.com/mauair/Finale.htm