How much water?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by blucruisin, Aug 21, 2015.

1. blucruisin

blucruisin New Member

We are doing our first trip to the Broken Group in a couple weeks. All of our past trips have been to places where water has been readily available from streams, etc. Since we know that's not the case out there am I wondering how much water do most people take with them per person per day? Thanks.

Cheers!

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I generally take 2.5L/person/day plus 'a little extra, just in case'.
    The 'in case' includes leaking Dromedary lids which seem to be a recurring problem for me.

3. Tsunami

Tsunami Paddler

I can easily drink 8.L of water a day myself depending on weather, activity, and heat. I recommend to take an extra couple days ration "just in case". You never know whats going to happen and you can just dump it out when your leaving.
    Dehydration is no fun.

Tiger Tsunami.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

In the Brokens, not likely to get so hot you will need to force water. Done many trips there on about 3.5 L per day. Others prefer a bit more. Much depends on whether you are frugal with rinsing dishes, etc. Also your style of cooking.

if you run out, go to the lodge. They are happy to supply kayakers with water.

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

As Dave says, water usage depends on cooking style/food choices as well as whether fresh water is used for washing self/dishes.
    Some 'data points':
    I find that I keep well-hydrated but need fewer 'nature breaks' when paddling, using a hydration backpack on my PFD (Tributary with Platypus bladder and tube) , vs fewer but larger (big gulp) drinks from a water bottle on deck.
    YMMV :D

I just returned from a 3-night trip, starting and ending about mid-day. Nothing very strenuous - 53 nautical miles total. Weather was a mix of mostly sunny with some overcast, daytime max temps in the 20s.
    I used just over 9L of water which included water in Dromedary bags, a Platy soft bottle (2.5L), a Platy soft drink bottle, and the hydration pack. I drank when I was thirsty, and had the water bottle in the tent at night.
    Meals were fairly simple - grocery store stuff like dried potatoes, pasta, etc with some cans. No coffee in the a.m. (muesli/fruit/powdered mil/water) but cups-of-soup in the p.m. .
    Sweat level depends on clothing choices - the worst (hottest) for me is wetsuit and splash top. On this trip (sheltered Gulf Is waters) I wore neo top and paddling pants.

For your reading list: :big_thumb

http://running.competitor.com/2014/05/n ... ance_76027

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... e24697084/

6. blucruisin

blucruisin New Member

Thanks all. Helps me with the planning.

7. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

I just used the conversion chart and we are both in the 2.5L camp.
    I use a 1.8L hydration pack that usually empties with my dinner meal and reload before the start of the next day. My meal plan calls for 3 cups of water a day with no water for dishes, all boil n serve. This year I started out our 3 week trip with a 26L capacity instead of my usual 20L based on fears of water availability. As it turned out I dropped down to topping back up to 16 L because the rain came and came. ..
    water was everywhere:)
    Extra water is always a good thing!

8. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

2.5 litres per person per day is my magic number. As a conservation method try using 1/3 salt water with 2/3 fresh to boil pasta for meals. To assist with cooling yourself on hot days on the water, try using a microfiber cloth dipped in the ocean and worn around your neck. This could well reduce your temperature and the resulting thirst issues.

If desperate due to miscalculated supply issues don't be ashamed to ask others for, " spare water", because it does often simply get dumped to reduce weight. I never empty my last half bag even at the end of the paddle. I travel some pretty remote roads to get home and dread the day my vehicle doesn't make it back or I am detoured for a day. Dump it at home in your garden.

9. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

We like to go with 3 litres per person per day, which allows some spare. We have never run out. There is also an old cistern on Clarke Island if you head inland. It would definitely need filtering and cannot be relied upon, but had water at the beginning of July a few years ago. However, it's been a much drier year this year.

Rachel