• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

How to attach dry bag in cockpit

camshaft

Paddler
My solstice gt HV front buckhead leaves tons a room at my feet. Tossing a dry bag in would just be fine but obviously not ok with out being attached. Searched the internet and found the picture below...
Was thinking that I could put draw strings or something in from the front hatch. Then pull them tight to hold the dry bag at the end against the front buckhead ?

The foam idea below is a great idea but very difficult to reach the items in it.
As well it should have some sort of strap to make sure it doesn't come out.
foam pushed to end
water_cont%20_2.jpg

foam at opening
water_cont_1.jpg

Camshaft,

Those glue-on anchors chodups uses are the cat's meow. Western has them. Strapping like that is easy to rig and de-rig, and a minimal entrapment hazard. We jam a sleeping bag in a compressor drybag into a space like you have, and have never had it slip. No straps.

But, we do use straps in the open space between cockpits in our double, to anchor two big dry bags. They are anchored using a variation of what chodups uses. Ours allow the straps to be completely removed for day trips so the straps are not present and thus eliminate the entrapment concern.

chodups said:
This works well for me.

IMG_0005.JPG

i now own the kayak that Chodups outfitted in the pic. i really like the system. i can get my cart wheels and 12 liters of water in front of that three-point strap.

Well how the hell do you guys reach all the way to the bulkhead in the cockpit ?
My issue is I can't reach that far inside, unless I had rubber arms.

Brave+and+bold+plastic+man.jpg

camshaft said:
Well how the hell do you guys reach all the way to the bulkhead in the cockpit ?
Usually I support the yak upside down on saw horses so that it is at about armpit level plus or minus when i sit on a short stool. This allows me to comfortably insert an arm and my head into the cockpit, which improves the reach enough I can work on the bulkhead. Got to get the height just right.

If you have a sling system used for storage like Kasey has, that makes it super easy to get whatever height you want. She posted photos of that a while back.

camshaft

I installed the lashtabs exactly as astoriadave describes. You wear the boat like a hat albiet a bit sideways. It is a stretch and it is awkward but do-able. Be sure to sand the area where you are going to adhere the lashtabs and use some sort of proper cleaner. I think I used alcohol. If you don't clean it up really good the lashtab will pull loose. Why do I know this?

Once everything has set up and before you actually have to use this in front of impatient paddling partners I recommend that you practice it. Attaching and snugging the strap is a blind, one-handed job for me. Best accomplished on my knees with my head in the cockpit and turned sideways looking away. Sounds bad but really isn't. Once you figure out the technique that works for you it's easy. Daren's Chatham 18 is a snap but it wasn't the first several times I tried it. Lucky for me that Greg and dvfrgger weren't in my front yard at the time poking fun. Tactile but easy.

Jon

I will have to try as its seems like a good place to storage items.

What is the best way to attach the pads ?
-Vinyl-Tec 2000 Adhesive
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4442281355
-vina bond or is it vyna bond ?
http://www.plastidip.com/industrial_solutions/Vyna_Bond

Can you glass them in ? put a small sheet around and over it ?

chodups said:
camshaft

I installed the lashtabs exactly as astoriadave describes. You wear the boat like a hat albiet a bit sideways. It is a stretch and it is awkward but do-able. Be sure to sand the area where you are going to adhere the lashtabs and use some sort of proper cleaner. I think I used alcohol. If you don't clean it up really good the lashtab will pull loose. Why do I know this?

Once everything has set up and before you actually have to use this in front of impatient paddling partners I recommend that you practice it. Attaching and snugging the strap is a blind, one-handed job for me. Best accomplished on my knees with my head in the cockpit and turned sideways looking away. Sounds bad but really isn't. Once you figure out the technique that works for you it's easy. Daren's Chatham 18 is a snap but it wasn't the first several times I tried it. Lucky for me that Greg and dvfrgger weren't in my front yard at the time poking fun. Tactile but easy.

Jon

Well i found places that sold Vinyl-Tec 2000 Adhesive but had no luck finding anywhere that sels vyna bond.
Possibly the tarp place that I purchased my strapping has something. Or MEC had vinyl tech

P1030046.JPG

P1030043.JPG

chodups said:
I used Vyna Bond. It works fine for me.

I'm pretty sure that Vinyl-Tec is fine. Seems to me that when I went shopping for that adhesive I had two or three product names written down and the second shop I visited had Vyna Bond so that's what I got. Seems like Vinyl-Tec was on that list. Somebody here at WCP can comment on that.

This is my version of the chodups system. Webbing through a simple clip, glassed onto the glass inside the cockpit. Very strong. Has lasted through two especially tough, long seasons so far (in particular 2008, which involved at least 42 days in use).

Attachments

• IMGP2628.jpg
    IMGP2628.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 3,247
NB Same sort of clip as in camshaft's #6 in the post prior to my last one.

And the great thing about glassing it in is that the webbing gets really impregnated with the resin that you are using to attach glass on glass, so the whole thing is really solid.

camshaft,

Another option. These tab anchors can be epoxied in place, or adhered using a 2-part adhesive from 3M now called Scotch-Weld, or 3M's 4200 or 5200. The latter two are available in small quantities at marine supply stores. I bet MEC has them.

Western has them, I know, and I bet other places do also. The gray plastic is PVC, I believe. Not evident from the first photo, but I round off all the exposed edges to minimize scrape injuries. The fabric-based tabs in use on WW rafts (etc.) are somewhat prone to abrasion failure, but probably not an issue inside the cockpit.

Attachments

• TabDetail02.jpg
    TabDetail02.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3,240
  • Oblique.jpg
    Oblique.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 3,226
Does anyone know for certain if the buckle on #6 in camshaft's post above is compatible with the male ends on the Northwater Underdeck Bag? I need to install my bag in the Zephyr and I am one female patch short.

Chodups, you can buy the Northwater Underdeck bag patch clips separately -- contact your local Northwater dealer and they can order them for you.

MEC didn't have the #6's or the #4's in vancouver in singles. They had some attachment kit that came with a whole bunch of different ones. But it was 49.99 or 59.99 :(

Thanks Comoxpaddler I was thinking the same thing when I couldn't find the clips. Thinking why can't I just glass the webbing and clip into the boat ?

Astoriadave I couldn't find anything like that at MEC other then the plastic buckle. But I did see some plastic rope eyelets or inchworns but they where fancy sailing ones. But the grey plastic looks like some hardware store sheet they cut up ?
Anyone know what that is from ?

chodups said:
Does anyone know for certain if the buckle on #6 in camshaft's post above is compatible with the male ends on the Northwater Underdeck Bag? I need to install my bag in the Zephyr and I am one female patch short.

Back