How to attach dry bag in cockpit

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by camshaft, Jul 5, 2010.

1. smeyn

smeyn Paddler

you mean like this:
    [​IMG]
    Well all you have to do is have a handy assistant ready:
    [​IMG]

2. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

thanks smeyn

I was looking for a better solution.... because those pictures would be me exactly including the gut.

Even something high tech like sail boat pulley on the top firewall. So you could release the upper section and gain access.

3. chodups

chodups Paddler

For me it's an "on-my-knees-with-head-and-one-arm" in the boat for placing the cargo and an "on-knees-with-head-turned-sideways-on-top-of-deck-and-one arm-in-the-cockpit" to fasten the retention strap. The one-handed strap thing takes some learning but I've never had to do what the gentleman in the photo is doing. I'm 5'10" tall.

4. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

maybe its because he only has one shoe ?
    [​IMG]

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

I hadn't noticed that

;<))

6. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

completed finally

Thanks for all the help guys...
    I went with a small webbing loop with a slide clip then glassed it to the hull.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chodups

chodups Paddler

Sweet!

8. Jacquot

Jacquot Paddler

I found this thread just after I'd glued in some North Water D-ring patches for a similar purpose, but I'd installed a single D-ring top and bottom. I guess I didn't glue very well, because two years later they are peeling off, along with the four I'd put in to hold my pump (with bungies) under the deck.

Since I need to redo it, and have been unable to find another D-ring patch (without driving to Abbotsford), I've decided to have slide clips and webbing glassed in as described above. But I have a question: being 5'0" in a Romany, I have a lot of room ahead of my feet. I have my footpegs as far back as they go, which seems about right for me. However, this is my first boat and eventually I might switch to something else or let my husband try it. Is there something I need to consider about placing the lower connections (laterally) so they would not affect a taller person?

Jacquie

9. chodups

chodups Paddler

Here are my thoughts on this and they may not be popular......If the placement of the attachments are going to improve your functionality during your tenure with this boat don't worry about how it might degrade the experience of another one-off user (even if it is your husband).
    I held off doing some changes to some boats that someone else might use as I didn't want to degrade their experience, however, I was still the primary user. Once I started to resolved to make changes that I wanted in my boat for my use the quality of my life improved. Nobody else ever complained.
    If you can choose attachments and placement that doesn't reduce the travel of the standard range that's a bonus.

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Agree with chodups. New owner can rip out what you have in there and make it his/her boat.

Very surprised you experienced an adhesive failure. Far as I know, the adhesives recommended in this thread should all work. Could be surface prep was the culprit. I really like the PVC D rings, which I got from Western, which I think they will do mail order, if they still have them. Photos on the first page somewhere in an earlier post I made.

Re surface prep: 50 or 60 grit sndpaper is best, preceded by a hard scrubbing with a soapy 3M pad. Rinse with tap water and dry thoroughly. Avoid use of solvents to clean the surface.

11. Finn

Finn Paddler

Funny thing is, the new owner of a boat may really appreciate the changes you've made. I'm the new owner of the kayak that Chodups initially showed in this thread and like DarenN before me I really like the three point system that he installed. That is a 2006 boat and the attachments are still holding strong.

While I am on this, Chodups were the other anchor points under the deck for a Northwater under deck bag?

Finn

12. chodups

chodups Paddler

While I am on this, Chodups were the other anchor points under the deck for a Northwater under deck bag?

Yes they are. Grab the Northwater bag and it should clip right in. It fit nice and snug but still allowed room for a floatbag and pump above. Enjoy that C18. It treated me well and took me to cool places.

Which seat are you using> The stock seat or the foam?

13. Finn

Finn Paddler

Tried both, much prefer the foam. Like the fact that it has a spot for my pump (which I seem to use quite a lot as I learn). I'll keep an eye open for that northwater bag and grab one next time I see one.

Really enjoying this boat so far. Transitioning from canoes has been a big step, but I think it's going to be worth it. At least now I can keep up to my kayaking friends easily, rather than feeling like I am holding them up.

Finn

14. dr_penner

dr_penner Paddler

Do you guys think this could work in a plastic boat? 'cause the adage "nothing sticks to plastic" seems a limiting factor.

KP

15. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

16. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

Jacquot last time I looked Mec carried a number of glue on patches. And possibly even some adhesive

Check the Mec web page

17. RobP

RobP Paddler

On speak to a West System Epoxy tech, he advised that their G-flex line was made for plastic boats.

RobP

18. Jacquot

Jacquot Paddler

I've looked in both North Vancouver (closer) and Vancouver (bigger) in the last couple of weeks, no luck. That's where I got the patches and adhesive last time. Then I thought I'd rather just get it done permanently rather than have to redo it every two years. The fact that my boat is stored outdoors (under cover) might have something to do with it. I use a cockpit cover to keep the rodents and birds out but the cockpit never quite dries.
    Jacquie

19. RobP

RobP Paddler

you don't need patches, as if you sew the female or male end into a short piece of webbing and leave about 2 inches on either end you can epoxy the two tails to the kayak, worked well for me.

20. The GCW

The GCW Paddler

On My 3 boats, I've tied a small, short loop of thin rope behind the foot pegs and onto the foot peg rails. They extend from the rail only about 2 inches. Then I use a properly sized dry bag which has the carry loops on the opposite side from the opening. I install one small carabiner to each, the carry handle loop and one to the D-ring which is usually attached to the opening end. Then it's a matter of squeezing the dry bag beyond the foot pegs and reaching in to hook the carabiner to the loops. The bag already doesn't want to move much because it fits snug and foot pegs hold it in place. It fits snug enough that I am comfortable that it doesn't compromise the foot peg rail either. The small rope loop is flexible and that aids in a blind one handed clipping ordeal also.