• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

How to transport HUGE/LONG tandem kayak safely on your car

Re: How to transport HUGE/LONG tandem kayak safely on your c

SeattlePaddler said:
Kathryne said:
I'm glad my info is already helping people.
As I said previously, I have already forwarded on Saettle Paddler's photos to a co-worker who has a cedarstrip 21' Tandem Kayak, he used to carry it on a Ford truck but just ordered a new Toyota Highlander

I myself have a Malone trailer for my 2 - 17' boats, I was just reading that it would take 20" boats maximum so that would be no good in this case.

Terry
145771080.jpg

Terry,

Can not tell from the photo, but what makes another six inches on each end not OK for a 21 ft kayak, while a 20 ft boat is OK? Seems like if the load is positioned over the axle properly, the bow of the kayak does not hit the rear of the tow vehicle in turns, and the tongue weight is not excessive, 21 ft would not be significantly different from 20 ft. Looking at the specs, the trailer is rated for 355 lbs of load, that can't be the issue.
http://www.maloneautoracks.com/microsport.php

windancer said:
SeattlePaddler said:
Kathryne said:
I'm glad my info is already helping people.
As I said previously, I have already forwarded on Saettle Paddler's photos to a co-worker who has a cedarstrip 21' Tandem Kayak, he used to carry it on a Ford truck but just ordered a new Toyota Highlander

I myself have a Malone trailer for my 2 - 17' boats, I was just reading that it would take 20" boats maximum so that would be no good in this case.

Terry
145771080.jpg

That's a sweet setup. Do you ever have issue with parking, especially when going out for long trips?

Astoriadave said:
Terry,

Can not tell from the photo, but what makes another six inches on each end not OK for a 21 ft kayak, while a 20 ft boat is OK? Seems like if the load is positioned over the axle properly, the bow of the kayak does not hit the rear of the tow vehicle in turns, and the tongue weight is not excessive, 21 ft would not be significantly different from 20 ft. Looking at the specs, the trailer is rated for 355 lbs of load, that can't be the issue.
http://www.maloneautoracks.com/microsport.php

You know Dave I 'm not really sure, just going by what the specs say. As you said weight is not the limiting factor. I have been thinking of cutting my load bars an bringing the kayaks closer together but I was also thinking of getting some bike racks for it.

The only thing I can think of is the boat would come very near the back window of the car especially when turning or stopping quickly, but who knows. When it gets warmer here We are going to try to put his 21' tandem on it.

Terry

Kathryne said:
That's a sweet setup. Do you ever have issue with parking, especially when going out for long trips?
Thank you, I must admit there have been a couple of times the trailer has been a bit of a detriment when parking, I have to look for a double parking spot to pull in too. In my case because it's not too busy around here, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

It is very easy to load and unload the boats, having only to lift them waist high instead of putting them on top of the car, My Journey isn't a real tall vehicle but the boats are about 60 lbs each and are awkward for one person to load by himself. The car is also much quieter when the sunroof is open and the racks on the roof aren't causing wind turbulence.

A really big advantage for me at least is that I can leave the boats on the trailer on the driveway and the gear in the box (not shown in the photo) hook up the trailer and be on my way paddling in 5 minutes. Very efficient. Since the photo was taken I now have a lockable gear box on the trailer that is below the boats and between the wheels that hold all my gear. It can be seen as an accessory on Dave's link.

Terry
143687425.jpg

145771081.jpg

As Terry said, there are quite a few advantages in using a trailer in transporting kayaks. My paddling buddy in Arizona uses one and loves it.

Since the parking space at his house is rather limited, he stores the trailer in vertical position, against the wall. On the enclosed photo, he demonstrates (on my request) the portability of it. His trailer is extremely well built: it takes gravel roads and 75 mi freeways with ease. If I'm not mistaken, the front bar can be easily extended, if needed, to accommodate longer kayaks.

I'm with Terry on utilizing the trailer for kayak storage. You could wash it, set it up for the next trip, or just keep it there for the paddling season, without moving a finger. Lifting kayak from it for launchings is just a breeze. All in all, it is a very good piece of paddling equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,134

greg0rn said:
Since the parking space at his house is rather limited, he stores the trailer in vertical position, against the wall.
I know where I am there really is no open water this time of year so both of my boats are stored up in the rafters of my garage. The trailer is standing vertically with the tongue shortened, it takes very little room so that I can get both cars in the double garage.

Terry

windancer said:
Thank you, I must admit there have been a couple of times the trailer has been a bit of a detriment when parking, I have to look for a double parking spot to pull in too. In my case because it's not too busy around here, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
145771081.jpg
Hard to tell from the pic, but would it be possible/practical to unhook the trailer, shorten the tongue and slip it (mostly) under the vehicle? Assuming the vehicle is high enough, of course. Maybe a quick-release replacement for those u-bolts to drop the rack "uprights" flat against the main frame...I'm sure our resident engineer could sketch something up. :wink:

It would still be longer than a standard vehicle, but maybe you could squeeze into one stall? I'm just thinking out loud...maybe the trailer is a lot higher than it looks. :lol:

As per Jurfie's suggestion, you could let the air out of the tires and drop a few extra few inches. Just sayin'.

Be a good thing if you could stow it under your vehicle when not in use -- probably secure it better that way too.

Or what would happen if you dug a narrow hole for each wheel to drop in so that the frame completely touched the ground (maybe also small central hole for the frontskid)?

then just drive out, fold up newly hinged stands, drop kayaks from rafters onto the stands and attach, hookup hitch to car, and pull it out of the holes with everything ready to go.

Or, hang it by its tongue from a tall tree limb, decorating appropriately according to the season ... oh, forgot my meds this morning! Sorry!

:wink: :wink:

Jurfie said:
Hard to tell from the pic, but would it be possible/practical to unhook the trailer, shorten the tongue and slip it (mostly) under the vehicle? Assuming the vehicle is high enough, of course. Maybe a quick-release replacement for those u-bolts to drop the rack "uprights" flat against the main frame...I'm sure our resident engineer could sketch something up. :wink:

It would still be longer than a standard vehicle, but maybe you could squeeze into one stall? I'm just thinking out loud...maybe the trailer is a lot higher than it looks. :lol:
The trailer can have the tongue slide into itself and become an 8' trailer, I have done that several times, it is very nice if I have to trailer it without the boats which I will have to do when I go to Saskatoon in April. Yes you could park on top of it and it is much more secure if the boats rear is right up against the garage.

In my case the trailer is a great investment.

Terry

windancer said:
Jurfie said:
Yes you could park on top of it and it is much more secure if the boats rear is right up against the garage.
A-HA! So I'm not that crazy after all. Well, not for that idea, at least. :p :lol:

And to clarify, I was referring to an unloaded trailer at a put-in parking lot. :wink:

Jurfie said:
And to clarify, I was referring to an unloaded trailer at a put-in parking lot. :wink:
You know that's not a bad idea although I would have to take someone with me if both boats were to be used or I could only take one boat if I'm going solo......thanks Jurfie.

Terry

I know this thread is about tandems but it seemed like the conversation has meandered a bit so I thought I would offer my experience with getting a Tempest on an SUV. Perhaps it might help someone with a similar issue. I had the kayak fall off the roof rack a couple of times when loading it, so I came up with solution (pvc pipes attached to the roof rack). The following video demonstrates how this works.

https://vimeo.com/92465629

Back