Hullavator Modifications- low profile kayak

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Michael Pearson, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Michael Pearson

Michael Pearson New Member

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for Hullavator modifications. I bit the $ bullet and grabbed one because i have a very tall vehicle and wanted to do away with the need to carry a step ladder all the time. I have two issues

The hard black base of the cradles seem like they would dent/crack a wood or glass kayak if tightened so it couldn't move

Second, I have a very low volume kayak and the front and rear decks don't actually go high enough to allow the straps to tighten down onto it if they are wrapped normally through the cradle uprights.

I would be interested if others had experienced these issues and what your solutions were.. or any other mods to make this piece of equipment function better that you are aware of, have links to etc.

2. benson

benson Paddler

A photo of your boat on the Hullavator would be helpful. My thought is using a couple of microcell foam blocks fitted the length of the base...the under portion carved to nest in over the hard black bases and the upper surface contoured to match the hull. They could be Velcro strapped in place and stowed when not in use.

3. BCWave

BCWave New Member

I have the same issue. I love the Hullavator to get my NDK Explorer on top of a 4Runner but the back deck is too low for the straps to wrap the back deck. For short trips I have been putting foam blocks on top of the back deck and under the straps. For longer trips I am trying a variation of what Benson suggested. Zap strap foam blocks on the base of the Hullavator to pad the bottom and raise the boat. I look forward to seeing what others are doing.