Hydroskin sizing

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by mbiraman, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

I'm in the market for some hydroskin. Someone on one of the posts recommended going up one size than you think you'll need. Is this others experience with hydroskin also. what was your sizing experience?.Unfortunately there is none left in my area so i'm going to have to order from the coast and would like to get it right first time if possible. Thanks in advance
    bill

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Definitely up one size. Their XXL pants fit me just right and usually I am an XL. I'm not allowed to reveal the size Becky took, but it was "up one size" also. :oops: :lol:

3. chodups

chodups Paddler

My experience with Hydroskin mirrors Dave's. Go up a size. It cannot hurt to fit looser than a sausage skin.

Thisa is where I diverge. You might even re-think buying it. Mine was close fitting (not too tight) and worthless. I ended up giving it away. Made me sweat like a pig and chill and didn't provide enough insulation in any temperature water to matter. I was hot and cold at times. Not a single moment of comfort in that stuff.

Sorry Folks. I try to be positive about our topics but Hydroskin was a big disappointment to me and I guess I'm a little bitter. I know that others like this stuff but I found it it worthless. Maybe if it was way too big it would work. The guy I gave it to surfs. He tried it once and gave it to his son who wears it with his "gangin" baggy pants. Whatever.

Sorry. I'll shut up and go away now.

Jon

4. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I have had great experiences with the hydroskin products. I have worn the shorts and farmer john for many years now. I am a warm person and this is plenty of insulation for me in the shoulder seasons and in hot weather in cold water areas (Like haida gwaii). I guess mine is a size bigger! :yikes: Never thought about that. I find it hard wearing too. I have one tiny rip in the pants and I teach and play hard in this gear. I don't mind putting it on wet because it has a fuzzy inside that feels OK against the skin when cold and wet. Good luck.

5. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Uh they don't make 3X, since I am normally a 2X on top, so I need to shrink....somehow!

6. chodups

chodups Paddler

I shouldn't have posted experience with Hydroskin because it certainly isn't what most folks report and probably has more to do with me and neoprene in general. I have owned a few farmer johns, vests, shorts, tops in various makes and models and hated it all. I have never spent a comfortable moment in neoprene and the Hydroskin top was just the most recent neo-disappointment in my life.

Sorry.

7. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Hey Chodups,

I think it is great you posted your negative experience! It is always nice to have a balanace of opinions on this site. (I find it useful anyway. :mrgreen: )

8. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I would contact NRS about this. They do make most things up to a 4XL; perhaps they will make a custom size thing for you. I am thrilled that this company recognizes that active people come in all sizes! :big_thumb

9. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses. Chodup, i didn't feel your post was negative , just that you haven't found neo to work for you . Its good to know , thanks for posting. So far it sounds like most folks went a size up.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

*chuckle* "been there, done that...to my ultimate dismay.

I bought the BARE farmer John at MEC while in Victoria early last week: used it while taking lessons at ORC (spending most of the first day in the water rather than on the water) and then a day paddle around Tofino harbour/Meres a couple of days back. I like wetsuits...first time I've ever used one. Do wish they'd make the XL size in an "X Tall" though...guess I'll have to cover the ankles with some neoprene socks or such. I know... it's not Hydroskin so not exactly "on topic". Just a positive comment regarding neoprene.

11. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Thanks Sheila! I am not so much round, as tall and stocky. When I was 13 I was taller then my father! 6'5" and 250 nowadays.
    Shoes 13 4E
    Gloves XXL
    Hat size 8 1/4( only Tilley makes hats that fit)

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Uff da, Rick! You are a big bruiser! Is that Borealis XL large enough for you with those size 14's???

13. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Actually it wasn't Dave, I tried for a month to get comfy and just couldn't go more than 45 minutes. Hayley however loves it! She is a speed demon clocking 7mph in a straight line for 100 yds. I have my fishing kayak, yeah it is not fast but allows me the freedom of movement I need. It is super stable, I wasn't in the Borealis(too much weight in torso and shoulders). I think we may need to buy a triple and put me in the middle to be comfy! :D :D

Did I mention I was shot in the ass 1985? It still gets sore and need to find a gel seat for my butt.

14. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

15. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

16. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler