I want to buy an "American citizen"...

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Jurfie, May 10, 2009.

1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

I'm wondering with the still relatively strong CAN$, it may be worth buying a (used) boat from the U.S.

For those of you who have imported your kayak from the U.S., how much was the duty, taxes and fees you had to pay (as a %)? I've tried looking at the CBSA site, but it gave me a headache. :?

Thanks!

2. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

if you're buying a used boat, drive down with your paddling gear in the trunk. drive back with the boat too.

if you're buying a new boat do the same but go for a paddle before you come back across the border. say that you just went for a paddle in Bellingham.

3. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Golly-gee, Daren...that would be dishonest and illegal! I couldn't bring myself to not pay the government $$ that they so rightfully are entitled to collect from me! :? :roll: :twisted:

I'd be paranoid (and terrified) they would confiscate it. Don't people usually check in with serial numbers before crossing the line to prove it was bought in Canada so they don't get hassled coming home?

4. chodups

chodups Paddler

5. Mr Green

Mr Green Paddler

Pst- if you have it in your province, and Gst. It was only 15 percent when I brought my rockpool over.

6. Mr Green

Mr Green Paddler

also, I did go through a customs broker, an extra 125 $,

If you do the customs work yourself it should be classified under -> sporting equipment-> canoe.

7. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

Ya, what DarenN said. But tell them you were paddling in Deception Pass, instead of Bellingham. The probably are used to hearing Deception Pass ffrom kayakers.

I just picked up an Anas Acuta last week in Seattle for 2g American. Not bad, it was a 2004, keel strip, knee tube, and the bulkhead has been moved forward to the perfect position, for me. It's heavy, built like a tank, and not a scratch on it. In fact, I scratched it up far more in two outings, than the original owner had in five years!

I was going to do what DarenN suggested, but the stakes are just so high... They can take your boat, and take your car, and you can't do anything about it.

So, what I decided upon was a compromise. Being a good Canadian, I have this natural, inborn instinct to always be giving the government money, but like any good Canuck, there is no way in hell I'm giving them the full amount! So I declared the boat for $1200. Ended up paying less than a hundred fifty to the Man.

I did the same thing when I went to Orcas to buy my Nordkapp LV. It was looking pretty beat up, and had a big rust stain coming out of the skeg control slider, so I said I paid a G for it. :twisted:

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Going the other way, they always eye my 15-year old boat, roll their eyes, and wave me on through. Well, maybe the eye rolling is when they look at my grizzled visage. :wink: :oops: Never been hassled about "importing" my tank of a boat.

9. RobertB

RobertB Paddler

Just to, ahem, weigh in on this....

What DarenN said... I picked up my minty Gulfstream in Virginia. Had a paddle and PFD on the back seat. The customs guy gave it a good look over, but I think he was more concerned about what might be packed inside the beast than the boat itself.

He waved me through. No additional charges. :wink:

10. dut

dut Paddler

I think all I paid was GST and PST. That was on a US made boat and other countries of origin may be different.

If you do this make sure you have your documentation in order. I had two different receipts and it caused a small problem - boring story.

Barry

11. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

I loaded up my Pygmy kit on the roof of the car. When I hit the border the guy asked what I'd spent on purchases in the US and I said "about $1,200 Cdn" (I missed the prime exchange period by about 6 months). Then he asked me what was in the box on the roof rack. I told him it was a kayak kit worth about $1,200 Cdn. He said 'you build it yourself?" and I said "yep". He handed back the passports and said "have a safe drive". I had been expecting to be asked to pay GST but it was a nice, sunny autumn day....or something.

If you want to find out for yourself, follow this link to the entire 2008 Canada Customs Tariff schedule http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commer ... 1-eng.html .

Warning: the pdf download is 1,800 pages long!

12. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Hmm...maybe I can get the seller to come up for a paddle and "forget" it here. :wink:

13. swazicar

swazicar Paddler

Don't happen to need a Chilco HV, do ya? :)

14. Gollum

Gollum Paddler

A couple days ago, I found a nice Necky Eliza for my wife in Bellingham, WA for $900 USD. After factoring in the current exchange rate, this would be about $800 CDN less than new so I went down to get it. All the way there I contemplated trying to sneak it back without paying Canada Customs taxes / duty but the anxiety and risk associated with it wasn't worth it, even though the seller had agreed to confirm that it was my kayak and I had stored it there over the winter. I declared the full value - just over $1000 CDN and I was only charged PST 7% and GST 5% for a total of $123. NO DUTY! I was happy that I didn't try to scam my way through - not worth $123 in my opinion. The customs guy was friendly and the first thing he said was, "Bought a Kayak eh?"

15. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

That was my experience! I came back on the Coho(Black Ball) and the customs officer waived me through!

This weekend I hope to get started building my Borealis XL!

16. mikec

mikec Paddler

if it's made in the USA or Mexico, it is a NAFTA free from tarriff purchase, GST and PST only.

from anywhere else in the world, if they decide to pull you over and check the manufacturer's stamp of origin in the boat and you are paying varying import fees. Anything made in China, Vietnam etc is subject to 20% duty on top of taxes.

Anything made in the EU is subject anything between 9%-21% extra plus taxes, depending on the exact country of manufacture.

you can take your chances on rolling through undeclared, but if they decide to pull you over the first thing they will look for is that stamp or origin. then they can confiscate it, your vehicle, and everything inside it if they so choose.

have fun!

17. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

http://www.pygmyboats.com/CanadaShip.HTM

This is from Pygmy's Shipping page.
    "We sell lots of kits to Canada. There are no import duties on kits or plans. Canadians do pay federal GST and PST where applicable."

18. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Well, I didn't buy it (or any boat) :cry:

It was a very lightly used NDK Romany HV (precursor to the S) that I demoed down at the W.A.K.E. demo days a while back. Loved it. But I dragged my feet, so I'm sure it's long gone by now.

I ended up buying a house instead, so no more major purchases for me in the near future. :(

My priorities are all screwed up. :lol: :wink:

19. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

"Priorities all screwed up"? Not necessarily, Jurfie. I'd say you bought at the right time!

Now then... anybody want to trade a house in Lethbridge AB for one in the Gulf Islands? (preferably one with at least a view of the water).... :roll:

20. MartinZ

MartinZ Paddler

Dang! I thought maybe this was going to be about an easy way for me to emigrate...

I wanna be Canadian!!!