Info on Oldham Beach, Nuchatlitz?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by JohnAbercrombie, Jun 18, 2018.

1. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Has anybody stopped/camped at 'Oldham Beach' in Nuchatlitz.

In 'The BC Coast Explorer' Vol 1, Kimantas refers to it as a BC Marine Trails site, but it's not shown on the BCMTN website map.

Oldham Beach.JPG
    I'm looking for a good campsite close to Ferrer Point, to get an early start on paddling outside Nootka some day.

Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks!

2. Tangler

Tangler Paddler

John, I have some vague memories of exploring some beaches on foot in that area while camping near Camp Ferrier (not sure that is an option any more). Can't remember much about them. If you don't get better information, the beach near Florence point is good and only about 1.5 NM from the spot you are interested in.
    Third beach is very steep and scary, but there are a couple of quiet spots if you are planning on landing there.

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  3. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

We [at bcmtna] are not showing that site, I think because full groundproofing has not yet been done. But there probably are arguments to show it as it is a rec site . . . anyway:

Camping has happened there before, and the info we have is
    "lat 49° 44.827' lng -126° 57.030', Beach protected from SW behind small islet. Other details not yet known. Awaiting groundproofing."
    Oldhambeach-land2.jpg

Oldhambeach-land1.jpg

to my mind, it looks like a great site!

JohnAbercrombie and stagger like this.
  4. PDX outbound

PDX outbound Paddler

John - I've had a similar question.

Prior to recent upgrades and revisions, Oldham Beach was listed on the bcmarinetrails map at the location you have marked. I noticed back in March that some sites went missing from the current version of map, including Oldham Beach. I emailed bcmarinetrails for clarification and they were very helpful and let me know that as noted above "in the case of Oldham Beach the site simply hasn't been assessed yet by the BCMTNA, so it is not listed. It was shown to the public in error for a time, but we have corrected that error. We depend on volunteers to assess sites and although we publish lists annually for checking , there are over a thousand we have not yet checked."

JK's description of surveying "Wrong Beach" that he mentions in his BC Coast Explorer and how he bypassed the correct Oldham made me laugh, but also intrigued me. I contacted Zeballos Expeditions and the very helpful proprietor said Oldham is a very good site, but couldn't fill me in on some of the details such as number of all-tide camp sites or landing conditions. It sounds like it could be a great staging site and weather permitting, I intend to make my own visit of Oldham Beach as part of our upcoming trip to Nuchatlitz early next month. I will be sure to post any intel I glean from the effort.

JohnAbercrombie and stagger like this.
  5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks, folks!
    This is a great community, and WCP is a great resource.

LAM likes this.
  6. nootka

nootka Paddler

I camped there July 12 2009. It's a fine sand beach, with a sheltered landing, and a good food hanging tree. OldhamBeach1.jpg
    OldhamBeach2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks, Nootka.
    I looked up the Zeballos tide for that day and the high was about 3.4m(?) Do you recall how close the water got to your tent? :) Just trying to get an idea for possible camping at high tides...

8. nootka

nootka Paddler

Pictures were taken at 3:56 pm, when tide was approx 10.8 feet. Previous day's tide high point was 10.85 feet. So nowhere close to tent at that height.
    The debris line close to the tent must have been from an earlier tide, and it looks very dried out. The highest tide previous was 13.7 feet June 21.
    So I can't give you a definite answer, but my guesstimate is that that particular tent spot would stay dry if it's still there. OldhamBeach3.jpg

9. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks, Nootka.

10. PDX outbound

PDX outbound Paddler

We're back from Nuchatlitz and it was an amazing adventure - I hope to be able to complete a trip report in the next few days once I tunnel out from some work related duties.

In the meantime, my assessment of Oldham beach is that its an absolutely great camp - it would be ideal as a staging point before heading outside Nootka. It has two well protected approaches - we chose to come in from the western-most side as it is bit better sheltered behind some rocks. We spent two nights there and launched/landed at a variety of tide heights with no problems. The beach has a gentle angle of perhaps 5 degrees and the abundant sand was gentle on our keels. There is plenty of room - a least 4 tent sites that are flat and well above any high tides. Even if there was a strong NW blow there are options to shelter close to the tree line for protection. There is no water source at the Oldham site, but we visited a stream east of Florence Point that was strong enough to appear reliable throughout the year. A black bear wanted to make his evening exploration of the tide line while we were there but with our noisy encouragement he turned around and we had no other large animal visits.
    I believe we used the same tree that Nootka pictured for our bear hang.
    The one downside is the number of fishing boats that hang out near Ferrer Point during the day - they take away from the atmosphere of solitude, but all were gone by early evening.

P7030130.JPG P7030122.JPG P7030112.JPG P7030107.JPG

Attached Files:

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  11. nootka

nootka Paddler

Off topic, but regarding food hanging:

I use two lines and a pulley ... it prevents the line from cutting into the tree bark as you pull gear up & down.
    It's also a lot easier to pull up.

I had to crop the original upthread photo to see my pulley
    pulley.jpg

Here's a different location showing the food pulled away from the tree
    bearrope.jpg

See http://westcoastpaddler.com/communi...d-the-gear-to-hang-your-food.2146/#post-37349 for more info.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    chodups likes this.
  12. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks for the info, PDX (and Nootka). Excellent!

I'm just back from Nootka. We decided to change our plans and leave the 'outside' paddle down Nootka for another time. That Oldham info will be really useful when we go back again.
    Hopefully the bear will have lost interest by then. Did you use bear bangers or just a hullabaloo?