Info requested on Anna Morgan and Hill Island in Gulf group

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by designer, May 24, 2018.

1. designer

designer Paddler

While reading about some Gulf Island destinations by Snowden (no, not That Snowden. Mary Snowden), I found mention of Anna Morgan had stayed alone on Hill Island from 1907 till 1933; 26 years. There was a reference to Mystery Duchess, the Hermit of the Isle of Echos by Wolferstan. I googled and googled and couldn't come of with any additional information/history about that situation.

Hill Island is North of Wallace and near Reid Island. Given what seems to be a significant title/reference, I'm surprised nothing came upon the internet. But then, given the key words, it could be that what I was looking for was drowned out by all the other "Isle" references - sort of like what might have happened in the Gear sub-forum when we started looking for Latex maintenance :)

If anyone knows of an available source for more information about Anna Morgan and her stay on Hill Island, please let me know. Thank you, Paul

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Designer, I also thrashed Google pretty hard, and also failed to find a single reference to that particular Anna Morgan. There are a couple in Wikipedia, but they have no connection to the Gulf Islands.

What era did her stay there encompass?

3. designer

designer Paddler

Dave, first, if I haven't done it before, thank you for the research - a while back - on my obsolete Garmin 76CSx. I called Garmin and tried the old, "... people with smart phones are laughing at me because you just show campsites floating in the water ..." routine but they would budge from, "Your map source is discontinued, your GPS is discontinued. There is nothing we can do. ...". I can still use the 76 as a speedometer and it is fine in US waters.

Now, back to hermit Anna. Mary Ann Snowden has published a few guide books and my experience is they contain a lot of "copy and paste" between titles. So the following text can be found in at least two of her books. In the Rocky Mountain Books publication Sea Kayak the Gulf Island, on page 128, left column, Mary says, "This entire island [Hall Island] was at one time owned by Anna Morgan, also named the "Mystery Duchess, Hermit of the Isle of Echoes." She lived in total isolation here from 1907 to 1933 (Wolferstan)"

That's quite a title. ... "Hello, I'm Paul, a.k.a. Cougarmeat." "Hi Paul, I'm Anna, a.k.a. mystery duchess, hermit of the isle of Echoes. Wanna get some coffee?" ... I am familiar with retreats and temporary (26 years!) voluntary isolation. So I was wondering about the herstory of the island.

Last edited: May 25, 2018