Interesting camera holder

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by SheilaP, May 9, 2011.

1. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

2. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

On of my concerns would be all the steel parts visable in his video. Doesn't note if all steel parts are SS or carbon steel.

3. WaterMark

WaterMark Paddler

I'd be concerned about bumping the quick-release accidentally.

Also I like to have the strap around my wrist when I shoot, in case I drop the camera.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Might be handy for hiking, biking and camping stuff but does anyone really want to clip an SLR (ie, non-waterproof) to their vest when kayaking? I know I wouldn't.

5. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Thanks for posting Sheila. I wouldn't use it kayaking (non-waterproof SLR) but I ordered one for other things. Looks like an awesome product for backpacking, hiking, skiing, etc.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Had a second thought: it'd be a great way to keep a pair of binoculars handy on the water.

7. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

I have used this for more then ten years. Takes the weight directly off the neck and places it on the shoulders. Camera doesn't swing and is right where you need it. I have used this with my binoculars, my Super zoom point and shoot and my big dslr's. Quick change between the two with a spare set of clips is easy!
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...4442421419&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302697307
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His design pulls your pants down or puts the load on one shoulder.

8. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

thanks Sheila

9. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

I'm not sure, but it looks like the release is that red pin thing. It looks like they've designed it so that it can't be bumped under most circumstances.

Looks like great system, and not as awkward as the one Rrdstarr proposes. But I'd tend to agree that it may not be suitable for an SLR on a kayak, but can't you mount the waterproof ones to tripods etc? If so, then it'll mount to this.

10. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I have purchased one of the systems used here for use with my DSLR when hiking - http://www.backcountrysolutions.com/id20.html. Attaches to my CamelBak. Haven't given it a good test yet, though.

For paddling, I'll stick to a waterproof point and shoot in a PFD pocket, tied off with a leash to a key ring in the pocket.