Interesting "kayak"

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Dec 4, 2017 at 1:35 PM.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Saw this on a quickie trip on Percy Priest lake yesterday. They often drop the water level in winter and man, did they. It's a muddy lake anyway, and when they do that, it's a cesspool. So not the greatest paddle, but hey.

This is, I guess, a kayakmaran??? It has pedals, and a sail. And a catamaran. Wow.

DSCF9840.JPG

2. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Yup--that's it!

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Hit the link to check out the Mirage Drive these things use. A clustermess if you run ashore wrong, but relatively efficient. Makes use of the old leg muscles. Some advocates love 'em. I do not.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

It doesn't really seem like a kayak to me. Seems like cheating. But hey--something for everyone!

6. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I've taken one of the Mirages out on a kayak demo day. It was a blast (but then you know I've got a soft spot for sails.)

Lots of kayak manufacturers are getting on the pedal-power bandwagon, especially those targeted to SOT fishers. Some are using a full cycle "bike-style" pedal system that drives a propeller. They claim it's more ergonomically efficient than a back-and-forth flipper drive. On the kayak fishing forums the debate rages on, a bit like the rudder-vs-skeg wars.

7. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler