Interesting "kayak"

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, Dec 4, 2017.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Saw this on a quickie trip on Percy Priest lake yesterday. They often drop the water level in winter and man, did they. It's a muddy lake anyway, and when they do that, it's a cesspool. So not the greatest paddle, but hey.

This is, I guess, a kayakmaran??? It has pedals, and a sail. And a catamaran. Wow.

DSCF9840.JPG

2. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Yup--that's it!

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Hit the link to check out the Mirage Drive these things use. A clustermess if you run ashore wrong, but relatively efficient. Makes use of the old leg muscles. Some advocates love 'em. I do not.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

It doesn't really seem like a kayak to me. Seems like cheating. But hey--something for everyone!

6. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I've taken one of the Mirages out on a kayak demo day. It was a blast (but then you know I've got a soft spot for sails.)

Lots of kayak manufacturers are getting on the pedal-power bandwagon, especially those targeted to SOT fishers. Some are using a full cycle "bike-style" pedal system that drives a propeller. They claim it's more ergonomically efficient than a back-and-forth flipper drive. On the kayak fishing forums the debate rages on, a bit like the rudder-vs-skeg wars.

7. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

8. designer

designer Paddler

I watched all the "Clip of the Day" for the 2017 R2AK and didn't see one kayak. Too bad - as at least one person did it on a SUP. Because there are no "categories" - catamarans race against rowboats - most are doing it for experience rather than "race". Those with sails seem to have come in from 10 t0 20 days. But at 750 miles, I guess it would take a bit longer for a kayak to make it from Victoria to Ketchikan.

9. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

25 days for Mike Higgins in a kayak, in 2016. His reports at http://www.kayaker.net/php/journal.php?id=150604.

10. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

A person outside of this group did provide some clarification that there was at least one kayak in 2017 who finished:

"Rod Price paddling a Superior Expedition Canoe and Matt Pruis (Team VIZ Reporter) paddling a Seaward Quest X3 Kayak both finished the full race, R2AK 2017. And didn't come in last.

https://r2ak.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2017-R2AK-Vic-to-KTN-7.04.17.pdf"