Inukshuk, Stone Stacking - universal issues

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by mick_allen, Aug 12, 2018.

1. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Here, also. Retired railroad ROW is now a walkway/bikeway along the Columbia, traversing a mix of industrial, recreational, etc., properties, most of it 4 meters or so from the high tide line. Several places the smaller riprap stones are ideal for inukshuks. And people put them up, others tear them down, and a dialog/debate about their appropriateness has begun, similar to the one which raged here, several years back. Native cultures here never put them up, I believe, so that aspect of the debate may be moot.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

We were way ahead of the curve -- that discussion was 12 years ago.

If I recall correctly, the discussion festered for a good while before becoming a heated discussion that went on for quite some time.

4. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

LOL, I remember that thread. Lots of old names I haven't seen for a while; thanks for the memories!

5. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Mick,
    In an ironic way, the top photo is a metaphor the ever changing effects of time on the environment.
    Big rocks break into small rocks which become sand. That sand settles in the lake and compacts to Clay.
    That clay becomes rock again (slate). That slate gets pushed up and becomes a mountains again.
    We (man) come along and we think we can change that cycle. So we then pile rocks and make bricks.
    In the mean time the Himalayas are still being pushed up 5 mm/year, even as the Ganges River is already making new rocks out the the Himalayas.
    Then a park ranger comes along and says, don't pile rocks, you will change everything.

Roy