It's Springtime in November...

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by steve beschakis, Nov 20, 2017.

1. steve beschakis

steve beschakis PaddleN00b

Water conditions on Lake Washington and the run out to the Locks were freakishly calm last Saturday, so I did a relaxed 23-mile 'yak cruise from the Seward Park boathouse, north under the floating bridges, headed west through the Montlake Cut, Portage Bay, Gasworks Park, Freemont, then hung out at the Locks for a bit before heading back. The air was warm, so the dry top stayed stuffed in the hull. Forgot to bring food, so I made the trip on a single small water bottle. Driving home, I pulled into an Sbux and ordered half the take-away menu. Some pix:

heading north from Seward Park...
    [​IMG]

first of two passes through The Cut..
    [​IMG]

WTF?!?
    [​IMG]

...more bridges...
    [​IMG]

un-be-freaking-lievable glass after the Freemont Bridge...
    [​IMG]

Da Big Boys!
    [​IMG]

Wanted to head through, but ran out of time waiting, so I turned tail. Maybe next time...
    [​IMG]

Happy tourists...anyone need a ride to the airport?
    [​IMG]

...and back through the Cut.
    [​IMG]

Great Day on the Water!

oh...and here's my boat in a pic from a previous cruise...ain't she purdy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

What model of CD boat is that? It's very pretty! :)

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

It's a Gulfstream, designed by Derek Hutchinson.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Steve, your terrific trip report really brings back the good memories of that part of Seattle. We bought a Grumman canoe, about 1971 I think, and sampled those waters regularly, launching off the nature trail parking lot, when the trail was only a year old or so. Still a beautiful area, despite the urbanization run amok.

5. steve beschakis

yeah, oops..Gulfstream. I like this kayak alot. The only thing I wish it had was a shallow front day hatch for snax and other handy grabs...minor niggle.
    oh, btw: here's a thing that seems very cool to me as a fairly n00b-ish paddler; I'm sure everybody here already uses it. When I'm planning a trip, the line plotting function in Google Maps is VERY cool! Just right-click anywhere and select 'measure distance.' Then start left-clicking the points along your projected course, as the software totals you distance--gives you a nice little map with stats that you can print or just screencap for a handy record of your trip.

6. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Steve- thanks for that tip!
    Is there any way to get it to display nautical miles?

7. steve beschakis

Hey! Forget what I said about Google Maps...well, you can use it, but I just found something infinitely better! If you go to sea-seek.com, you can use their free mapping tool specifically designed for water routes. I just started using it to map my next workout: a circumnavigation of Mercer Island. The thing seems to be based on Google's mapping engine, and you use it in exactly the same way. But, as you can see in the pic, this tool not only allows you to cumulatively describe your course with a series of clicks, it's tracking the individual clicks as waypoints, each with their own lat/long coordinates and a running total in nautical miles! sweet! ...actually, I think this IS one of Google's own tools. neat. TIP: you can scrub your current map by forcing a page reload.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Astoriadave likes this.
  8. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks, Steve.

There's a good map tool at the BC Marine Trails website as well, though you may need to make a donation/buy a membership to use it. It's a worthwhile organization, IMO.

stagger likes this.