Jellyfish first aid

Discussion in 'Paddling Safety' started by designer, Mar 6, 2018.

1. designer

designer Paddler

Sep 17, 2012
    Bend OR USA
    While floating about a little distance offshore, tippytoe depth, a jellyfish deemed it necessary to lay a big sting near my arm pit. I hurried to shore swishing my arm/body around.

I told my swim partner she was NOT to pee on me.

I took a freshwater shower, then googled sting treatment. It seemed my freshwater shower was about the worst thing I could do as a first step.

Then I realized it wasn’t my first Step. My first step was to wash the jellyfish cooties off with seawater as I came back to shore; which was recommended.

So my second step of a shower wasn’t so bad. And I put some cortisone cream (that I always carry when traveling) on the rash/blistering. The redness was almost gone by morning.

But many google sources recommended applying white vinegar. I saw small bottles of it in the store and wondered about adding a solution to my kayaking first aid supplies.

Anyone out there carry specific first aid for jellyfish encounters?
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

May 31, 2005
    Astoria, Oregon, USA
  3. Jasper

Jasper Paddler

Jun 8, 2017
    Portland, OR, US
    I used to carry some single use packages of malt vinigar I "liberated" from a fish and chip shop in my first aid kit for jelly and other stings. Haven't seen those in a while though.