June 2015 Telegraph Cove to Victoria

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by RobR, Nov 22, 2015.

1. RobR

RobR Paddler

2. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Thanks Rob. I really enjoyed reading through your whole adventure.

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Nice job, Rob. Interesting that the nicest campsite was in the Gulf Islands.

4. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Lovely report, Rob. From the Broken Islands to Powell River, your route pretty much paralleled my Paddler's Inn to Powell River trip in the summer of 2013.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6359

Like you, I saw big, scary bear scat in the Port Neville area. And the site you had such a nice stay at on June 9/10 looks to be the one I had to do a midnight departure from because of a bear.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6446

You were bolder with the Lower and Upper Rapids than I was - good for you!
    Also like you, I couldn't access the Dinner Rock campground and so discovered Edmond's campground and the beer vending machine!

Always nice to see what another person's experience has been of an area I've travelled myself.

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

Rob,
    Great report. Wonderful to read. Great images to go along with it. Lots of work creating that report. Thanks for posting it!

6. designer

designer Paddler

Congratulations on your adventure. I was surprised when I saw what I thought was a guitar in a photo - how did you pack that! - but later reading mentioned it was "just" a Ukulele (How did you pack that!).

I've already made my shingle to add to the house. But I dated it just 20__ because I wasn't sure if my paddling partner could make it in 2015 or 2016. Too bad they closed the well on the Island.

I really like the way you planned out your stops and made decisions instead of blindly following a schedule.

7. RobR

RobR Paddler

Thanks for the feedback and complements. kayakwriter I read your trip report and I was sure glad that bear left my alone on West Thurlow, I don't know what I would have done.
    And to Designer when I lived in Port Hardy I paddled a double kayak by myself so I could carry my guitar in the front cockpit, now I paddle a Nimbus Telqua high volume kayak, its a big boat, not enough room for a guitar but I make sure there's room for a mandolin or ukulele.

8. benson

benson Paddler

Rob..Thanks for posting a great report on a great trip. Sounds like you found your pace. I've had a chance to paddle and camp in a number of spots you paddled over the last 10 years, but only a week at a time. Grabbing a good breakfast or a burger and fries when the opportunity is there definitely adds to the enjoyment! Vancouver Island keeps me coming back.

Jim

9. sludge

sludge Paddler

Super report. Thanks for posting.

10. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Finally got time to sit down and read this. WONDERFUL! I really enjoyed every aspect of this report. It's a trip I can MAYBE see myself doing some day (once I can manage to move to the Seattle area, as it clearly wouldn't work with a rental boat), and it was great reading about your experiences. Thanks so much for posting it! :)