Just underway

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Madamfool, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

An update: With 4 miserably hot and humid days last week I didn't get much done. I've tried to make up for it this weekend. I have holes left to drill in some of the panels but the beveling is done and I am going to be able to do some stitching tomorrow... finally! I don't believe I have ever beveled in my life (unless it was accidental) so it was initially intimidating. I'm pleased to say it went well, I made a nice sized mess, but after the initial fear subsided, it was fun. Tomorrow I will finish drilling holes and get to putting my boat together. THEN there will be photos!

2. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

3. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

4. Whidbey

Whidbey Paddler

Looking good!

James

5. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

The ends are aligned!

[​IMG]

6. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

I am impatiently waiting for the humidity and temps to drop before putting on the base coat, glass, and fill coats on the hull. It's been an overly warm summer here and I'm behind my hoped-for schedule. (The best-laid plans and all!) After a few days of mid to high 90's with lots of humidity and NO badly needed rain for the next few days, I should have my "window" open to get the work done. Fingers crossed!

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Gosh, I don't know whether I'd prefer waiting for things to cool off.... or waiting for temperatures to warm up (from the -20 we usually get in winter) before getting down to work!

:wink:

8. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

-20? No thanks!!! I win! :lol:

9. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

I FINALLY got the base coat on the outside of the hull! Talk about working at a snail's pace! I'm pleased though. Glass tomorrow hopefully.

10. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Don't worry too much about your pace of progress. I read an ad recently where a seller claimed that he had put in 20 hrs/wk for a year building a S&G kayak. (!) Also, my 'it will take about a month' kayak project which I started in April just 'got wet' today.....
    :D
    If you have had a lot of warm & humid weather, be careful about 'amine blush' on the surface of your epoxy- you can sometimes detect it by a 'greasy' feel to the surface. I had a lot of amine blush when building a boat in Ontario summers.

A good scrub with plain water and a scotchbrite pad, drying with paper towels, will get rid of any amine blush contamination.

11. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

Thanks for your input, John. It is much appreciated. I don't think I have any blush. I purposely waited for cooler drier weather before I put on the epoxy and fiberglass. It looks great and I'm very pleased!

Your "pace of progress" story reminded me of one from a good friend. She is an art teacher and her cousin called her and asked if she wanted to take an adult ed boat-building class at a local community college. They were only 2 of the 4 there. The other two retired gentlemen spent a whole lot of time talking and drinking coffee while my friend and her cousin built a bead and cove canoe in the same amount of time the S&G'ers progressed no further than where they started 5 weeks earlier. My friend figured out that the wives "encouraged" their endeavors so they would be out of the house and give them some peace and quiet! =)

12. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

:big_thumb :big_thumb

13. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

I would just like to say...glassing the inside of the hull was 10 of the most difficult jobs I have ever done! UGG! I'm not sure I want to look at it when it dries.

14. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Don't worry - it will be easier on your next boat! :big_thumb :D

And, not much of the inside hull is visible anyway. :)

15. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

LOL Thanks, John! I needed that!

It's funny you should mention both of those thoughts. About halfway through construction I started having serious thoughts about which would be my next boat. :D And last night as I was cutting along the tape, I thought, "Oh, this part of the boat won't show!" But I couldn't let the rest of it look good and not do my best. It just didn't seem right so I worked until it looked as good as the rest. No shirking! I'm happy with it.

16. pnwd00d

pnwd00d Paddler

Having just removed all my staples, I'm hopefully applying the last of the epoxy to low spots in my seams tonight. I'm rapidly approaching the fiberglas stage.... nervous! Sounds like yours is coming along nicely though. Cheers!

17. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

pnwd00d, don't be nervous. It's doable. Just make sure you have a long enough block of time to complete it. I've found that the steps taker longer than I expect them to. Then again, I may just be slow. =)

The studs for the foot braces are in. Next is gluing the hull on. I'm excited!

18. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Before the deck and hull are joined is a good time to add 'lashing points' for under-deck shockcord, hatch tethers, etc. if you think you might want them eventually. It's a lot easier than working in an upside-down boat!
    Narrow webbing or the sheath from line/rope can be saturated with epoxy and formed into 'omega-shaped' loops over a piece of vinyl tubing. (Remove the tubing after the epoxy sets).

You can also make similar-shaped 'loops' (padeyes) with scrap fiberglass/carbon and epoxy. Mold a long strip, and cut into pieces (hacksaw or tile saw -carbon and glass are tough on blades) to form the padeyes. Round the corners and roughen the gluing surfaces.

Attached Files:

19. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Before final glassing I would dry fit the top and bottom as best as you can,. It will be a lot easier to make adjustments now.

To save a lot of weight: use 4oz or 6oz cloth cut on the bias to close the outter seam. Mask off 3 inches on esch side. Plan on scrapping the glass over laps. Even 2 layers of cloth will have carry less resin then pre made tape.
    Limit the pre made tape to the inside. (CLC's tape is 9 oz and holds a lot of resin)

Cloth cut on the bias should be stronger the straight cut tape, becasue all fibers cross the joint.

Roy

20. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

I really like the idea of under-deck shock cords and hatch tethers. Thank you for that, John. I wish I'd know this earlier as I would have had something to use those extra bits of epoxy that I hated to waste. I'll remember that for my next boat. =)

Roy, the glass will go on with the bias as it did on both the outside and inside of the hull. I'm not sure it's completely on the bias but it's definitely not on the straight of the grain. The glass overhangs the hull by an inch...assuming I cut straight. =) And yes, tape does on the inside seam and a dry fit is in order.