Just underway

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Madamfool, Jun 10, 2012.

1. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Not at all, as long as there is something solid underneath (your end pour).
    The U-bolt can be fairly near the end of the boat - 1" of bolt buried in the hull (with some threads or split end) should be enough to anchor it, though more is always reassuring. The U-bolt leg closer to the middle of the boat can be longer.

2. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

If you change your mind and use U-Bolts,
    Consider drilling oversize holes, cover with tape, do end pour, and redrill the holes after the end pour hardens. In this way, the shear loads on the U-Bolt will be backed up by hardened epoxy, rather then soft wood. The end grain of the plywood will also be sealed.
    Not all SS is stainless is stainless. The chrome content will determine how stainless the U-Bolts will be. Look for a local industrial source for the U-Bolts or SS rod.
    The U-Bolts do provide more security for attaching bow and stern tie down lines. The lower photo (red center stripe) shows the better structural placement of the U-Bolt.

Roy

3. Greg

Greg Paddler

As I remember when I drilled the holes for my deck rigging the drill bit went through the deck wood and fiberglass like butter being it is so thin. I hate to ask the obvious but are you sure the drill is turning clockwise and you don't have it turning the wrong way when you were drilling the holes? Turning counter clockwise would probably cause the drilling to go very slow and it probably would burn the wood and make smoke even if the bits were brand new.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Have to agree with Greg: shouldn't smoke, especially if you are using new bits. I did two Cohos, the first had a laminated balsawood/fiberglass "plug" fitted and the second was the solid, fiberglass "end pour". Neither one smoked, I predrilled and then final drilled. Always "paint" the bare wood core with a saturation coat of epoxy to seal the bore thoroughly (whether the hole is for a screw, bolt, or rope).

5. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

Oh my gosh, Greg and Tootsall, I never thought the drill might have gotten switched! That certainly makes a whole lot of sense! Thank you! I will check to make sure it's clockwise.

6. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

Yep, my half inch bit went through the end pours like "budda". It's amazing how well a drill works when it's turing clockwise! =)

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

"Palm, meet forehead" *SMACK*

:kiss

8. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

No kidding, Tootsal! Duh, on my part! I'm SOO much wiser now! :)

I am officially finished with the kayak! Whoohoo! I'll be on the water tomorrow . I sure hope I like it!

And oh yes...the port is delicious...it's dessert in a glass. Yum! :D

I'd like to thank everyone who talked and coached me through this. Thanks for answering dumb questions ( I had many) and being so patient with a newbie to the world of boat building. I have had many revelations while completing this project some funny (to me at least) and some obvious and eventually I will post them along with some photos of the finished boat.

Thank you, all. You are the best!

9. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

:clap: :clap:
    Good luck today! Enjoy your new kayak!
    Cheers,
    Bryan

10. Greg

Greg Paddler

:clap:
    Congratulations on finishing the kayak and the Port. I’m glad I could help with finding that reverse switch on your drill. :D

So, do you have an Adirondacks tripped planned yet? I saw a documentary on the Adirondacks a while back and it seems with so much water it is made for a kayak trip.

I'm looking forward to see the finished product photos.

Have fun paddling your new pride and joy.

11. Madamfool

Madamfool Paddler

Unfortunately high winds and very rough water kept me out of Lake Ontario today! Yes, it was very disappointing but I will try it again tomorrow evening. I will take more photos of it then. Right now it is hanging from the rafters in my garage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40112242@N02/7868599598/in/photostream

Tomorrow I will move the boat forward so it's more evenly balanced but it will still be 2 feet plus longer than my car! =)