Justine Curgenven is circumnavigating Tierra del Fuego

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by ken_vandeburgt, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Ken, thanks for posting this. Justine and Barry are now 6 days into their voyage -- from reading her blog, it sounds like they're having a really good trip so far.

3. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

Justine is an absolute Gem.
    She was up here in the North Island last summer, in part to do some paddling with her friends Leon Somme and Shawna Franklin (who were circumnavigating Vancouver Island), and to do some filming of Cheri Perry and Turner Wilson (new rolling video).
    http://www.cackletv.com/sea-kayaking-dvds/this-is-the-roll/

We (Campbell River Paddlers Club) hosted Justine one evening for a BBQ Social and she gave a highly entertaining audio/visual presentation of some of her exploits...everyone fell in love with her.

Good Luck Justine! :big_thumb

4. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Interesting question. Justine and Barry are paddling around Isla Grande in Tierra del Fuego. They started in Punta Arenas and, after two section, they are in Ushuaia. Now they are going to Punta Arenas by vehicle and paddling counter clockwise to Ushuaia.

Hence the question on Justines blog: "The rules of circumnavigation: Are there any? Do we make them up to suit our purpose? Does anyone care?"

http://www.cackletv.com/justines-blog/

Interesting to read Freya's take on the question too.

5. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

What was Freya's take?...of the two comments on the Blog, she wasn't one of them that I could see.

6. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Pretty stunning observation from Freya, considering that she went the 'easy way' (west-to-east) round Cape Horn, during her 'westbound' trip.....
    Any direction at all, it isn't easy work, IMO. My hat is off to them all.
    I'm reminded of the answer to one of my (very) novice sailing questions years ago, when I asked an acquaintance/boat-owner what modifications/upgrades he would do to his (already well-found) boat before circumnavigating via the S. Ocean. Answer:"The first modification would be to remove myself from the boat immediately!"
    :)
    John

8. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

This is an interesting question.

In 2010 I tried to circumnavigate Haida Gwaii but failed due to injury. I got half way round (I completed Graham).

One day I might well go back to do Moresby.

I might well present it as the completion of a circumnavigation. I know that Hayley Shephard did HG in 2 bites over 2 years (again because of injury) to become the first woman to solo around HG. But I'm not sure that in my heart of hearts I will feel that I have "circumnavigated" HG. I think, rather, that I will see it as "having paddled the entire coastline of HG in two trips".

As an aside, does one have to paddle on the outside of every island in the HG archipelago to be able to claim that one has "circumnavigated" HG. I deliberately paddled on the outside of Langara and Frederick Islands because I thought I should (and it was off Frederick that I was injured in a freakish mishap), but I paddled inside Hippa Island after my injury. Will I have to take an extra few days to go and get Hippa under my belt? Or can I take a water taxi - if there are such things on the west coast of HG - out there so I can do the 6 miles of outer coast that I missed? There should be a book of rules for this stuff.

9. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

If one circumnavigates, even in stages, can still make the claim in my book.

Doesn't surprise me... :roll:

10. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

11. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

12. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I agree, really nice pictures. Looks like a cool place to paddle. Hopefully, Justine will post more shots from the trip.

13. WaterMark

WaterMark Paddler

The first shot is spectacular.