Kayak Camera Mounts

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by SteveD, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SteveD

SteveD Paddler

I know a lot of you guy's take video footage from your kayak, presumably with a deck mount of some kind. I would like to mount my little Pentax Optio W60 on deck and try getting some paddling footage and some rolling shots.

I've thought about mounting a small mini tripod but somehow that doesn't seem to be the ideal, I've looked for a basic mount sans tripod legs but haven't seen anything as yet.

Anyway, I would appreciate some tips from anyone who has already solved this problem.

SteveD

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

3. waverider

waverider Paddler

Steve , I am looking into the same thing, as we have the same camera I will keep you updated ( I remember Raimo having a nice homemade set up, I will tinker away this weekend in the shop and see what I come up with)

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I'm sure you can probably scrounge around and come up with something cheaper, but in my book RAM mounts are the best. Come to think of it, I need to order some more bits. :wink: Easy to set up and nice and secure - they'll also hold your GPS, fishing rods, laptop, coffee mug / beer can or anything else you absolutely need at the ready while paddling. 8)

5. SteveD

SteveD Paddler

The RAM product range is certainly extensive, to say the least.

The dedicated digital camera mount looks interesting - no idea on the price at this stage, need to get back to the website and dig a bit deeper.

http://www.ram-mount.com/index_files/ra ... camera.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input so far, looking forward with great anticipation to seeing what you manage to concoct out of bits and bobs Mark!

Cheers
    SteveD

6. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Thats a pretty basic set up, GPS central has great prices and great service

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/ramaccessories.htm

I recommend the suction mount unless you have a textured deck. (so you dont have to drill holes in your boat)

7. cattail

cattail Paddler

[​IMG]
    This was a setup I made yesterday from some leftovers. N/C
    It is mounted to the paddle shaft for quick pics and video.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g_zsx7Bk1ic&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g_zsx7Bk1ic&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

As far as mounting on the deck it's not pretty but I saw some sprinkler pipes glued into a square base that can be lashed to the deck up and out of the way with a arm so a camera setup like mine could also be lashed to. Elbows, Tee's and some short pieces of pipe under $10 with glue. Making the thing sealed at the tips helps it float if it gets knocked out of the bungee mountings.

I'm not sure if the Ram parts will work out in salt water enviroment. I have one of their laptop car mounts and all the fasteners are zinc coated.

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

All of the hardware I've gotten from RAM, mainly for GPS and camera equipment with assorted suction-cup mounts, has included stainless steel hardware. Some of their parts (the diamond 1" balls etc) are painted aluminum but most are also available in plastic, which is usually a dollar or two cheaper.

After about 2 1/2 years of use, the only mount that shows any signs of corrosion is the small 1" ball tripod mount for the camera, which seems to be degrading under the paint (it's just starting to bubble). It's still plenty strong and nothing is at risk of breaking, but it will need to be replaced eventually. Even so, that's a pretty inexpensive part. I've been using various RAM mounts since about 1998 and everything I've bought is still in 'active service' - I'm very happy with their stuff.

9. cattail

cattail Paddler

Mark, That sounds like a great set up overall how did you mount yours?
    I have one of their PDA mounts I added to my bicycle and motorcycle handlebars some time ago for GPS maps on the
    go but lost the adapter connecting the base to the mount so both are useless now.
    I found this yesterday in REI, 2 of the reinforced nylon legs fold so it makes the mount an L shape with a built in velcro
    strap it can fit on a paddle or just about any object up to a wrist dia. with some creative strapping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to try it the foam block I made worked pretty good in flat water but I don't think it would stay put in a wave or roll like this one.

10. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I have their twist-lock suction cup base with a plastic diamond ball. Secure an arm of your choice (I use the medium ~4" length arm), and on the other end a camera stud mount that simply screws into the tripod mount on my camera housing. I should have bought this one though - it's plastic so won't corrode the way the aluminum one is starting to.

GPS City, GPS Central and quite a few other places usually stock all sorts of different RAM parts, so it's easy to get just the part you need. Both of the above shops are based in Calgary but ship world-wide; I also know of a local Victoria establishment that can order any RAM bits you might need.

11. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Charlie, I'm surprised you didn't whip something up out of carbon fiber; it'd match the rest of your boat and never corrode. :D

12. cattail

cattail Paddler

I was tempted but after making my boat if I don't touch any more itchy stuff for a while that will be fine. :shock: :doh:
    The foam block is pretty versital I have mounted it on the paddle, deck, deck bag, helmet and have been thinking about a
    tubular stand of somesort that will hold it up above the paddler on the rear deck like this one Sandmarks made from PVC.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vGdac5YicY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vGdac5YicY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

13. andreas

andreas Paddler

Here is my setup

[​IMG]

14. Timeless in the Bay

Timeless in the Bay Paddler

These work well: http://joby.com/gorillapod They tend to not hold the camera still if surf is crashing down onto the deck. The collapse is not all bad since it does protect the camera.

15. PinkTHR

PinkTHR Paddler

If you are in a pinch BBQ tongs or Potato Smashers work too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

17. Islandboy

Islandboy Paddler

18. Some Good

Some Good Paddler

19. Joe_O

Joe_O Paddler

20. rider

rider Paddler

Ro got the same Predator sticker in same spot on his Romany as I do on my Cetus.