Kayak Camping Logistics

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Jurfie, May 28, 2008.

1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

That's what the voices have been telling me.

Thanks ADave... :lol:

2. Jill

Jill Paddler

Lots of mice on Hand island, I found the crows to very clever and quiet . they took food from behind our seats on both boats and stuff right off the deck. Bob had stuff taken 3 or 4 times :)

3. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i can certainly agree with that. :oops:

base camped on Benson, i paddled over to look at the sea lions on Wouver one day. came back to find my camp totally trashed (well sorta). crows' little footie-prints everywhere around my tent. knocked over my stove, my dishes flipped over, cutlery missing completely. they were even under the vestibule of my tent. all my food was kept in the boat at all times but they still checked me out while i was away.
    also, the tiny deer on Benson are fearless. one evening, sitting by a small fire below the tide line, one little bugger snuck up on me and sniffed the back of my head. scared me half to death :eek: . i jumped, he jumped. we had a jumpin' good time! 8) i settled back down on my log and laughed about the 'sneaky killer deer of Benson Island' :D

DarenN........

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yeah, those crows ... been had a couple of times by the buggers. As persistent and aggressive as Daren describes. Once we tossed a fish carcass out on a nearby rock to watch them go at it -- maybe 15 of them making quite a racket. All at once, in unison, they just vanished. About 3-4 seconds later came a swoosh and the local eagle banged the carcass with his talons and took off. Best we could figure was they had a lookout, because there was no straggling at all.

What really puzzles me is that the crows in the BG are dead smart and have the major food source (paddlers' treats) completely dialed in, over the entire BG. Yet, less than 3-4 miles away, as the crow flies, :roll: in the Deer Group, the crows are not acclimated to stealing and nailing people food at all. They pretty much ignore boats and camps. What gives? Are crows that territorial? Do the Deers crows not now and then sashay over to the BG? Three miles of flying is nothing to a crow.

5. Jill

Jill Paddler

Crows are territorial and mate for life . They also live as family groups. The BG crows have probably learned this behavior from observing the family .
    I rescued a baby crow a few years back. It fell out of the nest so I put it in a basket and put it up the tree as high as I could. The Mom watched me and was very pissed off that I touched her baby. She attacked me for a few weeks. My family had lots of laughs watching me get swooped at. I actually got hit with wings a few times. I swear it knew the sound of my car as soon as I drove in the driveway it would land on the telephone pole and start scraping its beak back and forth getting ready to chase me.
    The parents fed Junior and he eventually left the basket.

6. wannabeaduck

wannabeaduck Paddler

What is missing???

I was looking at the list of things that people are bringing for the day/weekend/week/month long kayak trips and there is one thing I did not see on ANY list...

A first aid kit! Does no one ever slip on the rocks while hiking and sprain an ankle / break a wrist / gash a leg on rocks or barnacles or slice open fingers while cutting food?

A first aid kit was the first thing I added to my list after the mandatory Canadian Coast Guard equipment. Okay I have added a whole bunch of other stuff as well, (splints, bracing, tensor, big bandages, suture kit) but safety equipment should be the first thing to go on the list...

Thoughts on this?

7. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

Re: What is missing???

wannabeaduck,
    You're right and I bet most the members that posted on this thread have some sort of first aid kit for that day or week long trip.

As for your whole bunch of other stuff in your kit, I once did a two week trip with a paddler who's kit included a dental repair kit and he was trained to use it. I was glad he was prepared but thought he went a little overboard with the portable TV/Radio and solar panel to recharge the batteries :roll:
    Dave R

8. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Packing

Everyone has personal preferences based on their style of kayak camping. I evolved from back packing where I had to account for every ounce on my back and found kayaking to be like having the equivalent of 3 packs. I always carry a tarp and rope now and a hatchet and folding umbrella chair to ease the discomfort at the campsite.

I am a list person. That means I start packing a few days ahead and create checklists for my supplies. Some stuff can be piled up ahead and crossed off the list days ahead i.e. paddles, pfd, wetsuit, stove, water filter, towel etc. I have another list of things that can only be checked off as they are put in the vehicle. These items include a FRIDGE LIST, FREEZER LIST and a DON'T FORGET list. That includes things like chargers, maps, overnight personal kit and water . Keep reducing the list until just before you leave, where the last minute items like matches and lighters come with you.

I always draft out a menu based on the number of meals that will be consumed. I include an extra day per week of food, in case of emergencies or bad weather. As I pack the items, I can check mark them. There is nothing worse than to forget the key ingredient in two dinners, or to remember all of your fishing gear except for the little tackle box.

Hope this helps a bit to begin enjoying the best part about taking off for a few days.

9. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Re: Packing

I work EXACTLY the same way, in fact im checking off my list right now!

10. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Nice to see this old thread revived! I've read through it again and it has made me excited to get out and go camping!!

(Sad to say I don't think I'll be making this year's WCP Spring Campout)

11. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Try thinking in terms of what you will be doing.

Things needed for kayaking;
    kayak (not so obvious as you might think)
    paddle
    skirt
    lifejacket
    sprayjacket
    gloves
    chart
    tide table and watch
    compass
    misc safety gear

Things needed for shelter;
    tent (wind and water proof)
    sleeping pad
    sleeping bag and waterproof valise
    night clothes
    a square ensolite foam pad to sit on and use as a pillow.
    headlamp

Things needed for cooking
    stove with windscreen I´m an apostate when it comes to Trangia stoves. Get something that burns white gas like an MSR dragon fly. Don´t even think about propane/butane; the cansisters will eat up space like crazy.
    Pots (1.5 litre with lid and 1 liter is enough)
    watch
    water bottles (someone wrote 4 liters per day)
    water filter
    food bag with rope for bear cache (ALL food goes in the food bag)
    knife fork spoon bowl cup tea bail and means for washing at least once a day with soap and hot water
    Matches tend to be useful...

Personal hygiene
    toothpaste and brush
    floss
    razor and mirror
    washcloth
    toilet paper (keep it dry)
    trowel (for digging cat sanitation)
    hand sanitizer
    towel

Do not bring soap; bad for the environment

Clothes
    for kayaking
    for the campsite with waterproof valise
    for staying warm include hat and wool gloves with waterproof valise
    for staying dry
    shoes for the beach
    (no blue jeans)

entertainment
    book
    camera
    kite
    etc

misc
    needle and thread
    first aid kit
    duct tape
    saw

A large carry bag is useful for hauling stuff up and down the beach in one or two loads instead of several runs with a handful of stuff

I've probably left out something important...

12. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Oh yeah.

How to pack...

That´s kind of individual choice.

My tent, sleeping gear, clothes etc go aft.

Consumables like fuel and food and cooking gear go forward.

Water goes in the cockpit.

Everything goes in the same place everytime it gets packed.

13. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

razor and mirror :shock:

14. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

signal mirror in the safety kit? sure.
    razor? what for? :wink:

15. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

Ken, I think I got everything on your list (and maybe a few extras) and when you get it all bagged up a three week kit looks like this.

Mind you, the food is the gourmet boil water and wait 10 minutes stuff but it works for me.

[​IMG]

16. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

That is the little stove I used for camping and it is great! In fact I tried it last month, and need to buy some more fuel for it.

I have some huge PVC dry bags I know won't fit in my kayak, but we could still use with our canoe. I don't know how much of my camping(4WD club) gear I could take with me our would be practical to bring Kayaking.

17. Desertboater

Desertboater Paddler

I'm not sure it was mentioned anywhere above, but I've found that in bear country, a bear canister fits very well in front of my feet. One boat that I paddled a lot this summer didn't have foot braces, so instead I used a bear canister and lined the inside of my cockpit with a cheap foam pad so that the canister wouldn't roll around. It also kept my legs really really warm, padded my heels, and gave me some support underneath my knees. I still had room between my knees for a watershed bag with my DSLR and accessories inside.

I've also found that if your boat has a day hatch, it works really well to get one or two extra large thick trashbags and line my day hatch with them. This allows me to stuff it full of random day necessities and whatnot, then just tie the bag(s) shut and close the hatch. the bag actually doesn't even need to be tied, just twist it up a bunch and tuck it underneath the deck so that it won't get un-twisted.

A couple other bits that have probably already been mentioned. I generally pack a groundsheet/pad/carry-alls last so that they're the first things to come out on the beach. I've also seen pieces of PVC threaded with the perimeter deck line in symmetrical locations on the bow and stern to allow for easier/more comfortable carrying of a loaded boat up and away from a beach. Simple and effective.

Cheers,
    West

18. wannabeaduck

wannabeaduck Paddler

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I am supposed to get ALL THAT in my kayak???? Hmmm... maybe I should see if they can cut the kayak apart and add an extra 5 to 10 feet on that 17 Delta Expedition I bought and haven't received yet. If I wanna carry all that, I think I am going to need a bigger boat! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

19. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I'd have no problem getting that gear into a Delta 17. I suspect after a trip or two, you won't either.

20. wannabeaduck

wannabeaduck Paddler

The last sleeping bag I had for my first kayaking/overnight trip took up almost the entire rear hatch. Tent took up most of the front, and what I could not bring was distributed among friends. Next time I had lots of room as we ended up sleeping in a cottage in comfort. That time I had changed to a much smaller sleeping bad and tent... Did not even get to use the tent. sigh...

Well, it is ready for next time... now I am just waiting for my kayak to be built... and for the dry-suit to come in...