Kayak Comparison Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Raj, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Raj

Raj Paddler

For anyone looking to compare kayaks, I've attached a spreadsheet (can use with Google Sheets or Excel) that my partner and I have been using while shopping for kayaks. Feel free to alter to your own needs.

Attached Files:

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Raj-
    About weights (which are in lbs, not kg, I think?)...
    I wouldn't put any faith in the published weights....some companies are accurate, many not so much.....
    Also, the paddling.com 'reviews' are mostly by owners (eager to protect the value of their investments?), so tend to be mostly 'good'.

Once you get a list of 'possibles', my advice would be to jump on whatever pops up locally at a reasonable price and try a test paddle or at least have a look at the boat. Some sellers are more flexible on price than others; I've had friends who have paid a lot less than the asking price after 'developing a relationship' with the seller. Some sellers are eager to get the boat 'to a good home' so making that clear can help.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  3. Raj

Raj Paddler

Thanks for the feedback John. This list is a rough guide but a helpful one.

Good point on the unreliability of the published weights as they can disclude hatches, etc but for our purposes it was a general guideline. Kevlar boats have been the best candidates. I actually have a scale that I can use to weigh boats but lifting them usually tells us enough. When my partner and I check boats out the focus is more of the performance, fitting and condition.

We have been testing out boats in the water, still searching but fortunately not in a rush. Every month a good boat seems to pop up!

4. Bluefoot

Bluefoot Paddler

Hey Raj. Nice effort. Kayak weights to me are like backpacking tent weights i.e. only a rough reference and always on the low side it seems. If you can, find a company that will let you test paddle all of the types of kayaks you are interested in, and as many as possible of the same day. I did this with a CVK in Courtenay a number of years ago and it sure helped me (a newbie then) figure out what I wanted. I ultimately found a boat while on a group trip that I really liked and unfortunately it was one they didn’t carry. Since then though almost every piece of kayak gear I have purchased on the coast has been from them.