Kayak locking options

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by tiagosantos, Jun 10, 2015.

1. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

Howdy! I'm sure this has been debated here, but a quick search didn't give me much..

I need to start keeping my boats outside, away from the (relative) safety of my garage. Something to do with "too many boats, not enough room, bla bla bla".

I'm building a rack with 4x4 posts and generic kayak hangers. It'll go between the house and the fence and be relatively hard to spot from the street, but still.. I know boats are usually more of an opportunistic theft, and a determined thief will get through anything, but I still want to put some effort into keeping the boats safe.

I've got three boats (so far..) - the mariner has strong U bolts epoxied in so I can use a nice thick chain or a bike lock. The CLC I'll probably leave unlocked or just minimally secured so that hopefully, if someone really wants a boat, they'll take that one. The Mystic is the one I need some suggestions for, as it doesn't have decent u bolts.

So far the Lasso cable lock seems like the best option.. They do sell a thicker version for $75 but comparing them last night, I think it would just take a dedicated thief an extra 5 calories of effort on the bolt cutters. The $55 version should do about the same job, but still seems expensive for what it is.

Any other options you'd recommend?

Cheers!

2. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I have seen this kind of locking system and have often thought it would be what I used, if I locked.

http://www.paddling.net/sameboat/archiv ... at203.html

I found good thick cables hard to get through the U bolts without stepping on them and fighting.

I am sure there is a 99 page forum on cable locks on here... Entertaining and educational - YEY WCP's.

Found it!
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4708&hilit=cable+lock

And some more words from the wise...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6676&hilit=cable+lock

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5744&hilit=cable+lock

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Tiago,

Is there enough room overhead to hang your boats from anchors screwed into the garage ceiling? Several folks here have done that, using a couple pulleys in each line for added mechanical advantage. At one time we had four boats hung that way, heaviest about 80 lbs.

4. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

Hi Dave,

That is what I'm doing currently, but my garage is small and low.. It's a pretty narrow 1 car garage as it is, and I have shelves on one wall, tools, ladders, hoists and other random stuff on the other wall.. What I really need is a bigger garage, but for now.. Hehe.

Even with some modification to the hanging kit (mounting the hooks as high as they'll go, shortening the straps to the bare minimum) the keel of the mariner is at pretty much forehead height. I have the Mariner and the Mystic up on the ceiling and the CLC on saw horses. I need to do a bunch of work on the car so the CLC needs to go outside at least - no more room in the ceiling unless I get rid of my lights and garage door opener! :D

And I found out after doing all that work that I can't open the garage door with the kayaks up.. Doh!

The garage is probably 50 years old and the joists are in pretty bad shape. I did mount the pulleys on brand new 2x4's to avoid putting extra load on the existing joists but it's still pretty sketchy.

Thanks for the links Sheila, I'll read through those! I was searching the wrong forum, it seems..

5. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

It helps when you remember key words of the conversations and a person or two who took part. :big_thumb

6. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

Hmm I like the car club in the cockpit idea! I think I'll rig up a heavy duty chain around the rack posts and then lock each kayak to that chain - kryptonite style u-locks for the mariner (through the u-bolts) and a car club for the Mystic.

edit - wait, the car club in the cockpit doesn't work well with a cockpit cover.. Guess the lasso cable might have to do..

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Tiago, Sounds like you have a strong argument for a garage upgrade. Or, a toolshed in the yard. Better yet, a combo yak shed and tool shed. Bill it as also having garden tool capability and it might fly.

8. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Tiagosantos,
    A low cost quick Lasso like devise could be built using concrete reinforcement rod. Form the re-rod into 2 form fitting loops. Close the re-rod loops with weld. Lock the loops using heavy chains to you rack. Wrap the re-rod loops with duck tape to protect you Kayak surface.
    Re-rod is cheap and easy to bend. You can heat the re-rod cherry red with a propane torch and it will bend with ease.

I am not sure how much more theft resident re-rod is when compared to a cable Lasso. If you like the idea, test a sample of re-rod against cable.

Roy

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Reinforcing rod demands a stronger snipper than the usual kayak cable, depending on the diameter. Hardened steel such as in the Kryptonite bike locks is a lot tougher.

10. GeroV

GeroV Paddler

If you are building a rack out of 4x4s you might consider making it wide enough that you could enclose it with 4x8 sheets of plywood with some holes for ventilation, and a lockable front door. you could make some rollers from pvc pipe to help slide the kayaks in, and that way you'd have added security.

for the rollers, you could get galvanized 1" pipe in short lengths and use the 90 degree bends and the four bolt plates, and before putting it all together, slide the pvc pipe over the main galvanized pipe. dowels put into 2x4 with a slightly larger pvc pipe would work equally well.

Just a thought.

Gero

11. M2G

M2G Paddler

Outstanding! Outside the box thinking that's inside.....a box. Well done Gero, well done indeed. :)