Kayak Polo

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Alana, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Hello fellow paddlers!

I thought that I would pass this along, just in case anyone is interested. If this posting is considered advertising and inappropriate, then please delete it.

Over the past year or so, I have been helping a friend set up a kayak polo club, and thanks to Canoe Kayak BC and the Burnaby Canoe and Kayak Club, it has become a reality.

So what is kayak polo? The game is usually described as a combination of basketball, water polo, and kayaking. It is played with 5 players per team, with each person in a kayak. The playing area has a net suspended at either end. Players need to utilize quick boat maneuvering techniques and teamwork to score in the opponent’s net. Kayak polo is considered a contact sport, however most of us are new to kayak polo, so we are not too aggressive and we encourage everyone to give it a try.

The annual membership fee is $150, which covers all outdoor sessions for the season and includes rental equipment. We also have a drop in fee of $15. There are a maximum of two drop ins. After which, you need to purchase a full membership. The drop in fee cost will be subtracted from the final membership fee.

http://vancouverkayakpolo.com/

2. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Just in case anyone stumbles across this, we were only able to have a maximum of one drop in before you need to purchase a membership. Think of it more as a trial run, to see if kayak polo is for you.

The membership fees haven't changed, and we still have enough equipment available for new players.

Below are some pictures from practice.
    DSC_2132.JPG DSC_2180.JPG DSC_2210.JPG DSC_1760.JPG DSC_1804.JPG