Kayaking related iThing Apps

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by SheilaP, Nov 29, 2010.

1. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I have been conquered by the ithing craze and now own a shiny new iphone 4. :yikes: :yikes: I was browsing the forum about charts, but I want to know what other APPs you use! I am looking for a bird calls one in particular. Mike J had a cool 'things going over your head' APP that I would like to find too.

What else do you use that is vaguely kayaking related? :wink: I really appreciate links if you have them; I find searching APPs a bit frustrating still. :mrgreen:

2. dut

dut Paddler

Sheila

I use AyeTides for tides. It does currents too. Think it was 5 or 6 dollars. I haven't done any extensive testing but seems okay.

I tried a long since deleted one that was 2 dollars. It would only give your location using the gps and it was out by about 50 miles.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Here's a few that I use:

Navionics Marine and Lakes: USA&Canada -- Cost $15
    Excellent app that has charts and topos for the entire continent (you can only load user defined areas, not the entire continent at once). The app also has tide and current info as well as other features that are useful for paddling.

Planets -- Cost: Free
    Sitting at a campsite at night looking up at the sky? This app will show you constellations and star and planet locations and names relative to your position on earth. Very cool, and it's free.

Aye Tides -- Cost: $10 (I'm sure it was less a few months ago)
    This is a pretty good tide program that I've used quite a bit but now that the Navionics app contains tide and current info, I'm not sure that this one is worth the purchase.

WhatKnot -- Cost: Free
    Need to know how to tie a specific knot? This app has detailed instructions for tying knots that will keep a paddler busy learning new ways to attach lines for hours. It's provided by Columbia (the clothing company).

PhotoShop Express -- Cost: Free
    Want to crop or do basic editing on your photos before uploading? This app allows you to perform basic photo editing on your iPhone.

Atomic Web -- Cost: $1 or Free for the Lite version
    OK, so it's not directly a paddling app but it's a much, much better browser than the Safari browser that comes with your phone. It allows a full screen view of web pages (increasing the area shown) as well as many really cool browsing features such as the ability to emulate other full-size browsers.

Sheila, I'm not sure how to link directly to the app store, but if you search in the App store for the exact titles above, you'll find these.

Look forward to seeing what others are using too.

4. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

Iphone etc battery charging for ludites....okay you edge of the tide techies...how are you keeping your batteries charged for these phones when out and away?

5. Dan_Millsip

There are available battery packs and solar chargers that work with the iPhone.

6. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

I have been using the Brunton Inspire http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/br_inspire_81-000007.php and am very happy with it. It will provide about 3 full charges to my smartphone. I was also extremely happy with the service I got from Modern Outpost. You can pair it with a Solar Panel if you need more than 3 charges, but you need fairly clear skies to get much charge from any solar panels.

7. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

8. Rootman

Rootman Paddler

I use TideApp (free) and StarGuide (point at a star and it identifies it).

9. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

Tideapp needs a cell data connection to work I think whereas ayetides and other $$ ones have the entire xtide database on the phone.
    I have found the energizer power to go packs to be pretty good - gives 2 or three extra charges.
    The satellite apps I was using are flyby and satellite tracker

10. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Not an app, but nifty none-the-less:

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/iPhone-Products/toughcase

11. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

THANKS Jurfie! This was my next quesiton and I am MORE than happy to stray off topic in this forum because there is so much that I do not know. :popcorn: :mrgreen:

12. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

13. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

No, sorry.

I found a reference to it in an ad for the Apple Store, so maybe there. Bestbuy.com lists it, but not bestbuy.ca. REI has it listed on their website.

14. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I guess we will need to wait for it to be available in Canada...

15. CalgaryPaddler

CalgaryPaddler Paddler

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Wow! thats way cooler then the one I bought (and lost in my car break in)
    Thanks for posting this. Added to my wish list :D

17. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

18. Dan_Millsip

Sheila, no problem to discuss this stuff in our forums -- I'm sure that a lot of paddlers are using smart phones on their trips.

I've been eyeing the Magellan case as well. Mike, is the case not available in Canada at all?

With the Magellan case you could use your iPhone in the shower if you feel the need -- Sheila, I know you've already thought of this. :wink:

19. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

20. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler