Klemtu 2 Port Hardy 2017

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by chodups, Jul 27, 2017.

1. chodups

chodups Paddler

2. paddlesores

paddlesores Paddler

All the best and safe travels Jon. It's a bucket list trip for my wife and I and am looking forward to the trip report on your return. Have enjoyed your previous reports on the area.
    Doug

3. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

4. chodups

chodups Paddler

Just got back to Port Hardy Friday afternoon. Arrived home in Seattle Saturday about 12:30PM. It was a good trip. I chose not to do the Aristazabal part as the forecast called for winds N@35-40kts about the time I would get out there then diminishing to 20-30kts for a few days. Not my idea of being on vacation. Becky Hardy started on a solo trip in the area about a week behind me and I'll be curious compare notes with her when she returns. I just moved ahead with the rest of the route and finished at Bear Cove after 15 days.

Ran into some acquaintances at Cape Mark and made some new ones. Paddled in dead calm/flat seas to 15-25kts/ moderate seas. Weather ranged from warm and sunny to light rain to low overcast to thick fog. Crossing Rivers Inlet, Smith Sound and The Queen with current running and near zero visibility produced some interesting GPS tracks and scarred me for life. Averaged 13.5 NM/day with one day at 27.5 NM.

It was kind of a tough trip. I didn't take any days off and this solo stuff is making me feel old. I'll start writing it up soon.

mbiraman likes this.
  5. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Glad your back safe and sound Jon, looking forward to hearing and and seeing more about your trip!
    Cheers

6. chodups

chodups Paddler

IMG_2734-001.JPG
    Tombolo Camp in Meyers Passage