Know anywhere to buy P&H boats?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by jurgenk, Jun 21, 2005.

1. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Hey, my Capella RM from MEC has been backordered to the middle of July and I do not want to wait that long. Looking for a red or yellow 166; does anyone know anyone else who deals P&H in BC (preferrably on the mainland as I would have to have it shipped to Prince Rupert). Thanks for the help :D .

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I don't know of any other dealers off-hand, but a quick look at P&H's dealer section on their web site shows that MEC is the only dealer in BC. There may be other dealers that simply aren't listed on their site, but I'd say there's a good bet that MEC has the exclusive rights to P&H here in BC.

Ugh - I can't imagine not having a boat until July! :(

Good luck!

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

4. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

beat me to it :lol:

5. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Thanks guys... I contacted them and the owner is out on the water (bastard) so I will phone back at 1500 and get the availability. If I have to wait until July I may look at getting a Necky Chatham 17 or a VCP Avocet as they both look almost identical to the Capella. Anyone have any experience on either of these two boats?

I have read that the Avocet might be a little small for me (5'10'', 210lbs) and I do not want to replicate the experience I had with the Nordkapp HM wherein I felt like a cork in a bottle. I certainly wish I had the money for glass as it seems everyone (even Current Designs god forbid--my first boat was a Pisces) makes a Greenland style boat so there is a lot more to choose from.

6. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I've heard good things about the Nordkapp as an expedition boat - what are your experiences? I'm a smaller paddler (5'9" and about 135lbs) so obviously the boat would fit me much differently...

7. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Hey Mark, I would temper everything I say with the realization that I fancied myself the second coming of Paul Caffyn but spent all of my time in the boat day-tripping around Victoria. To me, it is an absolutely beautiful boat aesthetically and paddles very nicely, tracks well, and is quite fast. Very maneuverable on edge and the only negatives that I noticed with it were the lack of initial stability (they no longer make the HM model that I owned and the new Jubilee model supposedly has a higher degree of initial stability) and the tight cockpit.

The compartment covers are small (I believe that the newer models have the oval rear compartment) but ferociously watertight. If I had been paddling mine with a full load of equipment or even ballast I am sure that my opinions on its stability would have been different. If I had to do it all over again, I should have bought the Skerray instead of the Nordkapp as it was quite a bit beamier, but in the right hands a Nordkapp is an excellent boat.

8. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Looks quite similar to a Current Designs Sirocco....Darren and I both paddle them and are pretty happy :p Should be easy to find one of those.

9. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I thought they looked pretty similar as well.

Not suprising though, since Derek Hutchinson designed the Sirocco and isn't he the "H" part of P&H?

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

11. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Hey was not choosing my words very carefully yesterday and sorry if any CD owners were offended at my asshat behaviour. I was more referring to the bathtub-like Pisces... Talked to Steve at Rush Adventures and he only has Capellas with rudders but he has me interested in a glass Quest (my wallet was screaming in protest at the thought). Might have found a Capella at MEC in Calgary and should find out today or tomorrow...

12. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Boat should arrive in the next few days in Rupert. Found one at MEC Calgary (the shipping was a little more but I do not feel like waiting for a month while looking at the rest of my gear) and I cannot say enough good things about their service. I have been a very happy member since the early 90's but they outdid themselves on this one. The Special Orders guy in Calgary (Mike) told me about MEC's policy of giving 10% off on safety purchases if you buy a boat from them and was going to apply it retroactively to all the gear I had already bought. It should cover the cost of the extra shipping and it was a nice touch...

13. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Congrats - bet you can't wait for it to arrive. I've always been really happy with MEC. In fact they're going to be opening a new store in Victoria finally. I just hope it's not too close to where I work or I'm in real trouble :p

14. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Thought I replied to this but guess the "newbie" poked the wrong key. If it doubles.......... oops!! :lol:

If memory serves the "H" in P&H actually stands for Henderson and not Hutchinson. Peter Orton who was with P&H and designed the Capella, as well as the majority of the newer designs, set me straight when he was at my place a couple of years ago.

Also think Brian Henry from CD gets a bit of a nod for the Gulfstream/Sirocco along with Derek, both are redisigned from the P&H Orion which was Derek's own.

15. fester

fester Paddler

I bought an argonaut last year. The design is a longer, larger version of an expedition boat based on the avocet. It is compareable to the NDK explorer and P&H quest.

The avocet is a great general purpose boat, like the capella it can be somewhat skeg dependant.
    Several dealers in Washington state and Alaska carry a good selection of british made boats.[The paddling community south of the border seems to be far more cosmopolitan in its acceptance of anything sea kayak realted coming out of th U.K.] Atlantic kayak tours also has a really good site full of excellent info, including realistic,objective reviews of lots of boats.

I have heard that P& H has lightened thier composite designs to accomodate the north american market.[thinnner gel coat on the hull],and that they are using a new somewhat difficult to repair rotomolding/laminate on their plastic boats.

16. andreas

andreas Paddler

hmmm? thinner gel coat , that is not good........ esp on the hull..... yes it saves a bit of weight---but when it comes to scratching up the bottom of your boat,it's good to have some meat ( gel coat) on it.

the best boats ,when it comes to gel coat thickness, are the impex/ formula boats! i work with these kayaks every day and let me tell you, they are great! great value for your money :D

see ya

andreas

17. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Not all gel's are created equal, some are tuffer than others. Not sure exactly what P&H is doing these days now that they are part of Pyhranna (sp?). I owned and paddled a couple of P&H designs and the gel wore as well as any other.

The poly laminate may be the triple layer poly that P&H has had for awhile now. It's VERY tuff and resists oil canning better than the single layers. Can't really see where it would be any different to fix than a single skin though, same material just thicker.

I once saw an older NDK Romany that took quite a whack on a rock and chipped away the gel just aft of the skeg box. the gel was redundantly thick (1/2" !!!). From what I've heard and witnessed qc at NDK is now much better. Great boats !!

18. fester

fester Paddler

My understanding is that if they crack from impact damage you're done. Like you said thier first attempts at rotomolding where pretty lame. I was under the impression that the three layers used in the new process are not the same material. Perhaps I was missinformed. I guess time will tell. Older composite Orions and capellas where much heavier than todays products. Have you owned or paddled a quest or newer rm p&h boat? I heard from a retailer that the company underwent some radical changes several years ago when it passed from father to son. I paddle my boat a good deal more than I carry it, so for me, weight is not an issue.

19. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

The three layers that some of the new P&H plastic boats are made up of a foam poly sandwiched between two hard poly layers. I own the Capella RM 166 and I am really happy with it, although I only have about 20 hrs in it so far. The boat is incredibly stable (at least compared to my old Nordkapp HM) and is very seaworthy in bigger water. The seat and backband are amazingly comfortable, and the only change I have made to the outfitting, so far, is to install a Seaward Designs paddle float attachment system (thank you Steve :D ) that I modified for use on the Capella. It is fairly heavy, which is a bit of a bitch as I leave it beside one of my home care client's homes in the fishing village I work in during the week, and I have to pack it down a trail onto the beach and then back. I absolutely love the look and feel of a fiberglass boat so I may, eventually once I raise my head up from debt, buy a glass Quest.

Brad

20. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Hey fester,
    The process P&H uses is known as triple layer polyethylene. The middle layer of poly has trapped air and functions as a bouyant core, a third solid layer is on the inside. Makes for a thick and somewhat heavy hull but they are VERY tuff. The Capella has been made this way for a number of year now and is still going strong.

IMHO this process is superior to any single skin poly boat and would be no different to repair than a single skin. It's added strength would make damage rare and the hulls maintain their shape better.

The older models were somewhat heavier as were boats from Valley and NDK. The Brits don't have a lot of nice sandy beaches to land on so they tended to build their boats for serious abuse but newer technologies and material chemistry is making an impact everywhere.

I was a dealer for the line for a couple of years and have had opportunity to paddle all of their existing line with the exception of the Bahiya, Easky & Orca. My first boat was a glass Capella, 2nd was an Orion. Have padled the older models as well, including a couple that are long gone now........ :)

The glass Capella is a favorite with the Vela a very close 2nd. Both great designs by Peter Orton who is no longer with P&H.

There were a few changes when Julian took over but it remained a family business until the recent sale to Pyrhanna. Hard to say what direction they will go in but there is evidence already that they have changed their marketing approach and seem to be slightly more agressive.

Paddling or carrying I prefer a boat as light as possible as long as structural integrity isn't compromised in the process.

Cheers,