Kokatat neck gasket repair tool

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Jan Petter, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jan Petter

Jan Petter New Member

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I've not used that, but instead use the solid cylinder form format talked about by NRS at https://www.nrs.com/repair/gasket_replacement.asp and https://www.nrs.com/boating_tips/gasketrepair.asp

For wrist gaskets, a Nalgene bottle has worked well for me - it is the right diameter to slide the sleeve on. I even use the dedicated Nalgene bottle as my storage spot for gaskets, glue tubes, sand paper, etc.

They don't say what diameter neck gasket form you need for neck (but do say they use 3" thick). I think it is about 9" or 10" diameter. It should be a diameter such that where the gasket is glued on is relatively tight, so the material flattens out. The last time I did it, I used a round tupperware container and then added rolled up newspaper to add an additional bit of thickness. One of these days I'll actually make a form out of foam.

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

A traffic cone, unblemished by abrasions, has worked well for me. Not handy for back country use, of course.

Peter's Nalgene bottle for storage and gasket form is inspired.

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

The disc I use is 10.5" (~27 cm) diameter - make it out of thin plywood or Masonite, and cover with red vapour barrier tape (TeckTape?). Any good plastic tape that will not stick to Aquaseal will work. If you have a bandsaw, a quick circle-cutting jig (a piece of scrap and a nail) will make quick work of the cutting of the disc and the half-rings.

Hints at:
    https://kokatat.com/pdf/kokatat-nec...ts_neck_gasket_replacement_kit-INSERT-web.pdf

and

https://kokatat.com/pdf/kokatat-nec...ts_neck_gasket_replacement_kit-INSERT-web.pdf

if you haven't found those already.

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I've had bad luck using tapered 'forms' for wrist gaskets (yogurt containers and similar) - all looked good but when I checked on things an hour later, the gasket had slid up the taper. Luckily I was using Aquaseal so it hadn't set.
    So now I use the PVC 'snap rings' for wrist gaskets (in the shop at home), and I assume I'll find a suitable water-bottle or other cylinder if I ever have to do a wrist gasket on a trip.
    It sounds like the cone works OK on the larger neck gaskets, though, so I'll keep my eyes 'peeled' for cones at the surplus store. They are good for the doggie agility playground in the back yard, too.... :)

I tape the disc tools (in a plastic wrap with some clamps and spare gaskets) to the front of the forward bulkhead in my tripping boat - after a suggestion from George Gronseth.

6. rider

rider Paddler

I have a designated bowl for neck gaskets, it has no taper and perfect diameter. Recently I felt like replacing a neck gasket while the designated bowl was on loan to a friend and found that I own a little trash bucket that has perfect diameter and slight enough taper to work very well. I also used a glass jar as a form for changing wrist gasket, either from jam or pasta sauce.

7. chodups

chodups Paddler

Kokatat's tool is 13.5 cm tall x 9 cm x 11.5 cm

8. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

My gasket tools:
    Neck:
    neck tool.JPG

Wrist:
    wrist tool.JPG