• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Left a trace.

Fancy shmancy flushable unit. 8)

telegragh.jpg

alright that's do it again... this is my 3 try to post these stupid non smelling pictures :roll: :twisted: :wink: they are from portland island

The best one I ever saw was on the States side of the Portland Canal up north....it was built off the side of a big rock and it was a straight drop through the hole into the sea! They just don't make them like they used to! Wonder if it's still there - that was 35 or 40 years ago...and it was old then!

Nest Key Campground, Flamingo Bay, Everglades National Park

Pity the doors don't face same direction as camera (west) for the sunsets, but entry from the dock can be an expedient convenience.

7_IMGP0264_1.jpg

Nest Key Campsite, Flamingo Bay, Everglades National Park, FL Jan-28-2007

8O 8O Why do they.... ...Isn't the other end of the dock land? Can't those kayakers hold it another 50 meters?Things are different in Florida... I want to experience it.
Do they stand in harricane?

I'm fairly new to kayaking and kayak-camping, but I'm finding that the fewer indications that other's have gone before me, the more enjoyable the experience.
Obviously, there have been others go before me (around here at least) but in the absence of obvious indications of them like piles of crap, accumulations of effluent, piles of garbage, graffiti, or clearly artificial structures fabricated out of anything (including stone), I find it much easier to at least maintain a superficial illusion of being in a wilderness. In fact, I've found that I like paddling where there are obvious signs of habitation to be SO much less enjoyable, I don't even do it much any more, I just concentrate on going where it at least still LOOKS like wilderness, even though it means going further afield and (regrettably) less often.

Perhaps you didn't notice but this thread is about leaving a trace. I think there's another thread somewhere about LNT.

Darren, that last pic brings back some fond memories. I need to get back there soon. Were there many others there this weekend?

Dan_Millsip said:
Darren, that last pic brings back some fond memories. I need to get back there soon. Were there many others there this weekend?

It was nice, we had the island to ourselves on Sat night. Two groups of four day paddled out on Sunday. One of the day paddlers was the Hon David Anderson. 8)

Dan_Millsip said:
Perhaps you didn't notice but this thread is about leaving a trace. I think there's another thread somewhere about LNT.

In fact I did notice this thread was about leaving a trace, hence my opinion about 'left traces'.
Is it a convention on this forum that only 'pro' opinions are welcome in response to a topic? If so, then that's fine, I just wasn't aware of it.

If you're asserting that it's ok to modify wilderness (leaving a 'trace' in the process) if you create something usefull --- absolutely! If it is, in fact, something usefull like an outhouse, for sure --- and you make a valid point. "Leave No Trace" camping is impractical in an absolute sense, because if you have more than a certain amount of use in an area you have to have 'facilities' ('traces' in and of themselves) because if you don't, it can get really messy. But (I think) these traces (outhouses) are only acceptable because they reduce the overall impact/footprint on an area, visible or otherwise.

It's just an opinion.

cyberhun said:
Is it a convention on this forum that only 'pro' opinions are welcome in response to a topic? If so, then that's fine, I just wasn't aware of it.
:roll:

Perhaps you've missed the "light-hearted" aspect of this thread?

Feel free to post pictures of your favourite crapper. :wink:

Back