Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by tim_in_bc, Mar 26, 2005.

1. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

I am located in Victoria

2. Redcedar

Redcedar Paddler

What type of boat do you paddle Tim ?

3. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

I have a Nimbus Telkwa. They have 3 models a sport , regular and a high volume model. I have the regular.

I just bought it in January and so far I am pleased with it but to be fair I do not have a large base line of experience with different boats.

I was looking for something with room for me and camping gear with a moderate amount of stability.

4. Redcedar

Redcedar Paddler

The Telkwa seems to be well liked by everyone I've met who has paddled one. Haven't had the pleasure to try one yet so will keep paddling my SOF kayaks.

5. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Did you make your SOF? got any pics? :D

6. Redcedar

Redcedar Paddler

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

nice boats :D

8. Tim

Tim New Member

I've paddled the Nimbus Telkwa reg. for 8 years and it has been a great boat. It is well designed, stout and the craftsmanship of construction is exceptional and most importantly one can carry an amazing selection of wine. Three features I like are the recessed deck fittings, flush/bombproof hatches & an under deck neoprene "shelf" where I can store all the crap that would normally collect on the deck. It does weatherhelm in a breeze hence the rudder.

9. tim_in_bc

tim_in_bc Paddler

Pretty much what I have concluded.

10. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I have a knee tube in my Romany Explorer (basically what you have described, but it's a fibreglass tube suspended from the deck in the cockpit), and love it. It houses my battery pack for the GPS, a large water bottle, gloves, maybe some fishing tackle or crab bait and whatever else I want to throw in there. It keeps everything warmish and dry from spray. Everyone who's never seen a knee tube before agrees it's a great idea! Most manufacturers of fibreglass boats now offer them as an option when building a custom boat.

11. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

My Seaward Quest has an aluminum shelf under the peaked deck that serves the same purpose as Mark's knee tube. Very convenient.