• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Looking for a kayak builder

if you look at the UK sea kayaking web site you will see that lots of beginning builders have built Shrikes.

Last edited:
Shrike is ply and Black Pearl can be either ply (from a kit) or strip. Ply is less expensive to have built with less labor involved especially if it comes in a kit. And cost will also depend on whether clear coated or painted as painted is easier to fill, fair and paint than clear coat.

Shrike is ply and Black Pearl can be either ply (from a kit) or strip. Ply is less expensive to have built with less labor involved especially if it comes in a kit. And cost will also depend on whether clear coated or painted as painted is easier to fill, fair and paint than clear coat.
Thanks Rod!
Where can I find a kit?
If I can't find a builder, I'll have to do it myself but then, it won't be ready for next spring.

Last edited:
I believe kits are sold for the Shrike or Pearl through Dan at Clearstream kayaks, but I do not seem to find his web site, just Facebook. I have built a Pearl in strip form years back for a customer so you could contact me directly. Just trying to be careful not to self promote here.

I believe kits are sold for the Shrike or Pearl through Dan at Clearstream kayaks, but I do not seem to find his web site, just Facebook. I have built a Pearl in strip form years back for a customer so you could contact me directly. Just trying to be careful not to self promote here.
Yes, his website is down but his FB page is up.
Just send me a PM with your offer and we'll go from there.
Thanks!

Hey Rod, You're responding to a specific inquiry about a niche service from a member, so you're good, thanks! (Unless Ilan is a cunning sockpuppet of yours :))

Well here's one: you couldn't do better than choosing Rod.
I've intermittently known him, his designs, his work, his knowledge, his shop, his family, his care, and his consideration over many years.
You're lucky to have the option.

I've seen Rod's work 'up close' - it's absolutely top-notch craftsmanship. You couldn't do better, and as Mick says, you are lucky to have Rod as your builder.
I know Rod (a bit) and have dealt with him in the past and I consider him to be absolutely trustworthy and reliable. I've directed other people his way and they have had the same positive experience as me.
So that's another reference for you!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Rod!
Where can I find a kit?
If I can't find a builder, I'll have to do it myself but then, it won't be ready for next spring.

With a relatively complete kit with most of the pieces already cut out you may have it completed after a few weekends.

Assuming you are working without a heated shop.
If you are are doing everything from scratch you will be lucky to hit the water in it next year.

The hardest part is making the coaming.

One simple question ?
How can you make money building a boat like the Black Pearl?
Even if you charged $5000 plus material and completed it in 300 hours , that is just a little over fast food money.
I guess I asking how manny hours does it take a professional builder to build a stripper?

Back