Looking for a new PFD

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by pawsplus, Nov 14, 2017.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I'm such a girl--my old one won't match the new boat. :oops: So I'm thinking about a new one.

I also have issues with the one I have. It zips up the front, and it sometimes UNzips when I'm cowboy scrambling back on my boat. In addition, the zip pockets unzip at the same time (nearly lost my car keys to the lake once, which really freaked me out!). I also don't like that it has foam up around the back of my shoulders. I've seen lots of PFDs that do not, and I find that it gets in my way on back deck rolls.

So . . . what's a good one? CAVEAT: It has to come in orange and black preferably. And it has to have pockets. I like this one--is it good?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PZ2IY38/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I17D6DBJZDINHT&colid=27NVW56SPHYG6

I'm not sure I need a special one for women. I wear a sports bra when paddling that smushes me down sufficiently for that not to really be an issue.

2. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

The one you show seems to only have the one pocket. I like the MsFit (even though it is women specific, lots of guys use them). Front zip (which I like and have never had an issue with unzipping) and several pockets for safety gear- mini flares, space bag/blanket, signal mirror, radio, etc. All the pockets have little rings inside for clipping stuff to.
    https://kokatat.com/product/msfit-tour-pfd-lvumft

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Paws,

The fit is critical. Might take a couple rounds of mail order to get it right. To avoid riding up, it needs to cinch up tightly without restricting your breathing, just below the breasts (applies equally to men ... not usually as easy to fit ;) ). [Edit] Many like the Kokatat MsFit. Guys included. What Kayak Jim said, as I wrote.

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I use a MsFit (Tour) PFD as well. So does my wife. So do quite a few of my paddling friends. It's one of the more common PFDs I see on instructors as well.
    It has two buckles at the front (top and bottom of zipper, roughly) so the zipper can be open and the PFD is still 100% functional. I like the fit and the multiple pockets, especially the pocket inside the main zipper where I keep the PLB and whistle. The outside pockets hold the VHF, energy bars & gels, candies, neo balaclava, multitool, etc..
    My (Level Six) drysuits and drypants have 'key pockets' inside zippered pockets; I keep my keys there. If I ever get a new car with an 'electronic key', I guess it will need to go in the drybag below decks.

Getting a good fit is critical - something that feels a bit 'tight' at first will probably be about right. My first MsFit (sized according to the manufacturer guidelines) was too big and I had to get a smaller one. You don't want it up around your ears when you are swimming. Like most kayak gear (boats, paddles, etc) a lot of PFDs seem intended for strapping 6-footers, so you'll probably have to try a few.

5. a_c

a_c Paddler

I am always surprised by the lack of innovation in PFDs. It seems like they stopped evolving around....oh, 1990 or so. One big block of closed cell foam front and back, a few straps, a pocket or two - and voila!

My primary is a Kokatat Ronin, but it's a bit bulky and lacks a decent front pocket for a VHF (well, it has one but it's a tight fit, and sideways). I also have a MsFit, which I like, and a Lotus Design - probably the most comfortable of the three.

If I bought one today I'd definitely go with this one, from MEC: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-115/Fulcrum-Guide-PFD

The foam pieces are cut laterally, across the breast (two-thirds up), and with two horizontal cuts, down the sides, making it much more flexible (form fitting) than anything else on the market, IMO.

As with anything, your results may vary. Body size/shape dictates all.

Good luck!

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Like that Fulcrum, by the looks and the description, also. Definitely well designed, with a very low snagging potential. Exterior pockets can really get in the way during rescues.

Paws, that one may be a good one for you. Fully adjustable to fine tune it for slimmer folks, looks like. Have not had one in my hands, however.

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Lotus were great PFDs - my wife's finally 'faded away' and she hasn't found another as comfortable.
    An all-too-common story - great product and company, bought out by a big corporation and then shut down.

Astoriadave likes this.
  8. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

The Fulcrum looks like what I want! Love the pockets, and it's the right color! :) THANKS!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  9. a_c

a_c Paddler

Glad to help.

Reread my description, looks like I got my vertical and horizontal mixed up :confused:, but you get the point - it's a damn comfy PFD.

One thing I heard - not sure if it was an ongoing issue - was that prolonged UV exposure made the colour fade out rather quickly. Maybe just a poor run of material from the factory?

10. GJH

GJH Paddler

I’ve owned a few... MsFit, MsFit Guide, Centurion, and Astral GreenJacket. The MsFit and MsFit Guide (tow belt) have lots of storage, but aren’t as form fitting and don’t move with you as much. (Not to say that they get in the way) The Centurion and GreenJacket are both very comfortable and don’t restrict movement or float up. The Centurion has enough space and lash tabs for my essentials, knife and vhf, but is bulkier in the upper chest and I can get hung up on re-entry if I am low on energy. The GreenJacket has a lower smoother section in the upper chest to avoid hang-ups, but I haven’t found a good location for the vhf.

11. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

You might want to check with MEC as to whether the Fulcrum has US certification as a PFD. MEC is a Canadian company, so maybe not...

12. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

If Canada thinks it's good enough, it's good enough for me. It's not as if anyone checks these things. :)

JohnAbercrombie and Astoriadave like this.
  13. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Agree this is a nonissue.