Looking for advice on 4-6 day trip in July

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by mtwestmacott, Apr 13, 2018.

1. mtwestmacott

mtwestmacott New Member

G'day, I would much appreciate the thoughts of your knowledgeable forum. My partner and I are from Australia and we are coming to BC to do some rockclimbing, hiking and were thinking of also renting kayaks and doing a 4-6 day long trip in mid July (length really depends how long it takes us to get to the start and back). What area would you suggest if my criteria are:

1. Possible to get to from Vancouver by some public transport/taxi/flight combination up to $400 round trip.

2. Rental kayak available. We will have all camping gear.

3. Suitable for 2 fit and capable people but not terribly experienced kayakers. We have done guided overnight kayaking in NZ (so at least we know we like it) and often do half days on the waters of Port Hacking at home. We could certainly practice some skills at home.

4. Not too crowded. I was looking at Desolation Sound, but it looks like an incredibly busy place in July. I don't mind sharing campsites with a few people, but have seen pictures of many large motorboats pulled up in coves there, and that doesn't really appeal. We are experienced bushwalkers and at home, easily able to find isolation on a walking trip. (I know this is my fault for going in high season, but was restricted to university holidays this year).

The next area I have been looking at is the Broken Islands Group. I liked the Lady Rose option for getting out there, and am ok with the bus/ferry trip to Port Alberti. Is this suitable for our experience level? How crowded vs. wilderness is it?

Any other suggestions?

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Brokens more crowded than Desolation, but much more hospitable as a paddling venue. Further, except for the high density at each of the seven campsites, you can have some pretty nice beaches all to yourselves. Scenic as all get out, also. Check with the Lady Rose folks on rentals. A major advantage to the Brokens is the very quick access. 2 hours after launching from the lodge area, you can be at a very good campsite. More of your limited time will be spent on the water.

3. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

4. dermot

dermot Paddler

a second on Peddels/paddles in Tuwanak, a good e-z trip might be;

- day 1 -Tuwanak to the old church camp, it's almost always near -to- totaly empty, even in the height of summer
    - day 2 - church camp, across salmon inlet, to kunechin campground, a bit more crowded, but not crazy
    - day 3 - around the corner to Tzoonie narrows campground
    - day 4 - kick around narrows inlet, take selfies, back to tzoonie narrows campsite again
    - day 5 - narrows inlet either back to church camp -or- across to halfway if the outflow winds are not to bad
    - day 6 - from church camp -or- halfway, back home to Tuwanak

we will be taking some relitives who are very good climbers, but not much experince in a kayak on this route in August, the biggest day is about 15k with outflow winds in the afternoon to be aware of, but overall very sheltered and a remote feel to it, not too many power boats in there either

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/sechelt/sechelt_brochuremap.pdf?v=1523737946010

5. mtwestmacott

mtwestmacott New Member

So would you say it's mostly crowded with paddlers, and mostly at camp, but not so many stinkboats?

And it sounds like I'm reading up on the Sechelts Inlet. Thanks guys.

6. Tangler

Tangler Paddler

Sechelt inlet is nice, but seems a bit limited for six days, imho, also if your destination campsite is full it can be a bit tough to find other spots (they are there though).
    The Broken group is lovely with lots to explore (if the weather is OK). The crowds are mostly paddlers and mostly in the campsites. I believe you now have to reserve so the campsites might not be too full (other than Clarke). You will need to bring all your own water and there is no fishing in the main area.
    Another option would be take the bus to Tofino and paddle in Clayquot sound. This is a large area with many campsites. However, the paddling is more demanding than the Broken group with more weather, tidal currents (often opposing the weather) and some surf landings. Definitely wilder though.

7. mtwestmacott

mtwestmacott New Member

Thank you. Ok I went to the campsite reservation system for Broken, seems to have up to 40 spots per site/island? That seems like a lot to me but I guess it depends how they are laid out. It does seem to have more options for a basecamp & explore type trip than the Sechelt Inlet. Why do you say "other than Clarke"? Is it very popular?

How would you suggest carrying enough water, given that we wouldn't be arriving by car, so really we'd want to buy our water in some form in town. Are big plastic bottles the way to go? Is it really 'no water' or are there some muddy soaks you can purify water from? We aren't picky... Australian bush is often lacking in clear flowing streams!

The Clayquot sound looks very exciting but I will definitely have to think through our skills and the likely weather conditions.

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Campsite choices are pretty casual, most of the campgrounds in the Brokens, with some CGs having fewer tent sites. Clarke is very popular, indeed. If you launch from the dropoff point at the lodge where you can rent boats, etc., likely Gibraltar or Hand would be your first campsite. You can do day trips out of either of those, but Gilbert or Turret or Clarke allow more variety in shorter day trips.

As to crowding: in the high season, expect cheek by jowl tenting most CGs except Gilbert (perhaps), but the Brokens have so many easy, interesting day trip options, that I have never felt crowded there. As to powerboats: not a lot of that, typically. The main anchorage is Effingham Bay, and typically is occupied mainly by larger cruisers and sailboats. Very little high speed outboard action.

You really should acquire a guidebook for each of the areas which interest you. They can answer a lot of questions quickly.

9. dermot

dermot Paddler

would not be all that worried about a crowed campsite at the old church camp, here's a piccie from last year, mid summer, we have the entire place to ourselves ;-)

for us, it's a nice day trip, leave Vancouver in the morning , lunch at the old church - play in the wind on the way back, and get on the ferry home in the evening, be at work the next morning,

with the folks visiting us this summer - their only experience is trying a rental kayak in Berlin one afternoon for an hour or two, it's sheltered enough to take them, kids, my grannie with some level of safety for a few days of the "Canada wilderness" experience

loads of other places to go if the skills are up to the challange, this is one with low skillls entry and still a pretty awesome place to be ;-)
    DSCN2490 copy.jpg
    there's other places i'd chose if the skills of the group supported it

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  10. mtwestmacott

mtwestmacott New Member

Thanks guys.

I've just ordered a guidebook, hopefully it ships to Aus in a useful time frame.

11. stagger

stagger Paddler

Sechelt Inlet was a great choice for a first trip for me and my travelling companion. We were out 5 days and 4 nights and could easily have put another 2 days onto it with a trip into Salmon Inlet and some time on the western shore. http://westcoastpaddler.com/community/threads/5-day-trip-in-sechelt-inlet-long.6920/

Desolation Sound was another great trip for “experienced beginners” - we spent most of our time outside the park proper, and it was anything but crowded. http://westcoastpaddler.com/communi...ar-desolation-sound-aug-2016.7839/#post-86926

Getting to a launch site from Vancouver will eat up most of a day in both directions, even with a rental car. That travel time must be factored in.

Keep us posted with your plans!