Looking to Rent Two Tandems in June

cougarmeat

Paddler
By “boat name” I meant model - like Fathom LV, or Mariner XL. That type of name. But if you have a special name for your boat, go for it. You might look for cougarmeat and calliopal’s shingle with the Fathom and Mariner mentioned.

For camping, I’ve never had a problem with people at Chivers Point - but it’s easier going if you can plan arrival/departure at high tide. The good news (except to the raccoons) is the raccoons are gone. I wonder how they did that? Seems those rascals are gone from Jones Island (San Juans) as well.

AM

Paddler
Here are the public (BC Parks) water sources that I know of in the Gulf Islands. All locations are approximate. Anyone know any others?

Ruckle (Saltspring):

There’s one in the campground, but the landing can be rough in wind:

This one is not on the park map, but I’ve used it a few times. I like the landing better.

Montague Harbour (Galiano Island):

This one is right off the south beach:

Dionisio (Galiano Island):

This one has a boil/treat water advisory, as they don’t check it often enough to guarantee it is potable:

These are all the public sources I’ve used.

Cheers,
Andrew

AM

Paddler
AM - when you announced your Portland Island/SaltSpring crossing, did you just say, “I’m here, going there.” or did you prefix it with Securite, Securite, Securite?
Securite, Mayday, Pan Pan are for channel 16. On the traffic channels, you are talking directly to the traffic operator, so it’s “Victoria Traffic, this is [my vessel], over”. Once they respond, you have your conversation. In a busy place, like the southern Gulf Islands, you might have to wait for them to get back to you since they are talking to a lot of people.

I recommend that anyone camping at Arbutus Point on Portland Island sit in their chair on the point and listen to channel 11 for an hour or two. That was my best education in how use a VHF (after I got my ROC, of course, as per Philip’s advisory above). Victoria Traffic (11) is one of the busiest vessel traffic services in the world, with deep sea ships, ferries, navy ships, and pleasure craft all navigating a very complex waterway.

You can do the same in Vancouver harbour on channel 12. It’s still Victoria Traffic, but the channel is specific to the Vancouver area. I will often turn my VHF on when I’m having a snack break while paddling. It’s interesting to hear who’s out and about. Whenever I see RCM-SAR or CCG on the water, I tune into channel 16 to listen to what they’re up to. Recently I listened in on a very complex rescue coordinated between CCG, Transport 951 (the big red “Surveillance” plane that flies over the harbour most days), VPD, and Border Services. A sailor had fallen off a deep sea vessel and all stops were pulled out to find him.

As I said, it’s all part of the education.

Cheers,
Andrew

Kault316

Paddler
Here are the public (BC Parks) water sources that I know of in the Gulf Islands. All locations are approximate. Anyone know any others?

Ruckle (Saltspring):

There’s one in the campground, but the landing can be rough in wind:

This one is not on the park map, but I’ve used it a few times. I like the landing better.

Montague Harbour (Galiano Island):

This one is right off the south beach:

Dionisio (Galiano Island):

This one has a boil/treat water advisory, as they don’t check it often enough to guarantee it is potable:

These are all the public sources I’ve used.

Cheers,
Andrew
Thank you, Sir