'Maddie's Magic' - A Bear Mountain Build by Maddie Millsip

Maddie

Paddler
I am thirteen years old, (almost fourteen) and I just recently began to build my first stitch and glue kayak kit. The design is a Bear Mountain Magic, and I am very excited to be building a kayak all on my own, with some guidance from my Dad. I love to kayak, and I have watched my Dad and his friends build lots of boats over the years.

So now it's my turn. I had to make this boat my own, so I, with the help of my sister, have come up with an exceedingly special way of creating a unique addition to my kayak. I cannot tell you what it is, so you will just have to wait and see what happens...

My build is being documented on the site in the Boat/Accessory Building section:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/buildin ... p?album=17

If you have any questions or comments, I'd like to hear them.

jurgenk

Paddler
Good luck Maddie... we will be watching with great interest and do not let your Dad try to take credit for what I am sure will be an amazing build. :wink:

Brad

Kasey

Paddler
Hey Maddie,
I've been waiting for this! My Dad built boats too (powerboats) and was a carpenter so I've spent a lot of time in "Dad's shop". I think watching you build may just fulfill a latent desire to have built a boat with my Dad! :wink: You two will remember this time together for the rest of your life! :lol: It will probably be the one build that I will follow all the way through. I bet it will end up one of the best build posts too since proud Dad will be free to be photographing and planning and such!

You two enjoy this precious time together! 8)
Kathy

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
Astoriadave said:
Very cool, Maddie. Where did you get that top? Is it made of that house wrap stuff? Tyvek I think they call it?
Dave, those are tyvek smocks. They're used by the guys in the back of the Clipper Canoes shop -- I'm able to get them from the owner -- not sure of anywhere to get them retail but perhaps somewhere like Home Depot?

RoyN

Paddler
Have fun building your kayak and make sure your dad and/or Raimo don't take over the project until you're ready to relinquish the project to them :)

Good to see you're doing what you can to reduce your exposure to uncured epoxy. You might want to think about wearing the resperator when mixing the epoxy.

elmo

Paddler
:idea: Good for you kiddo!!! :D

I'll watching it progress closely as I've somehow got it in my head to build a long and slim sticher myself... not sure when, or how, or even where though :lol:

daniel

keabird

Paddler
***WARNING***

Once you build one boat, you will become addicted and you will want to build more!! 8)

Jill

Paddler
Thats great, Maddie, looking good so far. I'm looking forward watching your project. Wait till you get epoxy in your hair :)

Maddie

Paddler
I just got back from working on the boat and all the forms are now in place. Next I will be starting to stitch together the panels!

RoyN wrote
Have fun building your kayak and make sure your dad and/or Raimo don't take over the project until you're ready to relinquish the project to them
Nope. No relinquishing here.:D I started this project, and I plan to finish it.

kelly t

Paddler
Maddie,

I, too, am looking forward to more pics of your progress.

My two children, -daughter now 11 and 3/4 - and son 9 years-, built a Yost Sea Flea last year (for my daughter), and are building a second for my son right now.
My daughter was inspired by the video of your rolling success, and hopes to learn one day!!

Maddie, I hope that you are also able to tie this project into your studies at school, in order to gain some credit towards school completion for this experience...

Good Luck!

kelly t

Maddie

Paddler
I just got back from working on the boat, and tonight I used a low angle block planer on the inside stems of the kayak.

I also loosely stitched together the hull! My boat is taking shape now!!

Stumpy

Paddler
You have a hull!!!! Looks great, and it's cool that you are starting this young- just think of how many more you will be able to build than someone who doesn't start building 'till later in life. I was twice your age when I built my first, not counting a "tom sawyer raft we built (and crashed) when I was a boy scout. I guess log rafts are not designed for running class IV... :oops:

Maddie

Paddler
Just got back from working on the boat. I taped the seams today, and my next step is to fill in the seams.

ebluethner

Paddler
Hey Maddie,
It's way past my bedtime... But I got hooked and looked at every picture in the development of your boat. What a fab job u r doing! I'll be checking in on your progress as this is just too much fun! :lol:

Where's your rolling video? I'd like to see it again....