'Maddie's Magic' - A Bear Mountain Build by Maddie Millsip

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Maddie, May 4, 2008.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

So who's bringing the root beer this weekend? :wink:

2. sludge

sludge Paddler

I am really quite moved and very impressed with your accomplishment, Maddie. Heartfelt congratulations to you.

3. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Maddie, it is just beautiful! And soon every scratch on the hull will tell us all the adventure you'll go through with it. Enjoy every moment with it :D

4. cattail

cattail Paddler

Sushiy your build was real inspiration for us all, Miss 2 1/2 months with inlays.

Looking for the pictures of Maddie paddling her work of art. :wink:

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Here's a few photos of Maddie's finished boat taken during the maiden camping voyage last weekend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Greg

Greg Paddler

WOW...WOW...WOW!

Great looking Kayak. That looks like it will be a great touring / camping boat with the extra long length and wide beam. Great build Maddie & Dad.

Maddie and Dan,
    Is that the reason you picked that boat? The great volme for camping gear for long touring trips? Looks like you could do a month long trip with the volume that boat has.

Hey guys, looks like you let the boat sit too long along the shore line during the WCP camping get together, some starfish attached themselves permanently to your deck...ha..ha.

Another gorgeous LPU job by Dad.

Sincerely Envious :D

7. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Hi Maddie,
    Nice to see you at Pender Island!
    I didn't have time to ask you - how did you make your seat? You like it? What tool did you use to make it? How did you measure or decide how much foam to take off?
    Kathy

8. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

The kayak is 18' 2" long but only 22.5" wide -- it's Maddie's narrow beam that makes the boat look wider. :wink:

Yes, since we mainly do long(er) trips, this boat will work best for now. I'm sure that at some point down the road, Maddie will have a smaller, more responsive, day boat.

I'm really glad that we dropped the deck and added the rear coaming recess on this kayak though -- it simply would have been far too big for Maddie had we not.

9. thief

thief Paddler

Any thoughts on this boat now Maddie?
    changes? wishes?

whats next on the build list???????

10. Maddie

Maddie Paddler

I really like my boat. So far, there hasn't been anything that I have wanted to change. It paddles great.

I'm just very happy that we lowered the deck, because it would have been much different had it stayed at it's original height.

There are no boats on the build list right now, I spent so many months building my boat, so now it's time to chill and go paddling.