Mara Lake BC - September 2010 Kayak Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Shuswap Kayaks, Oct 21, 2010.

1. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

Like I said a real friendly forum.

OTH if people are acting like d*cks because a precious few seconds of their day were squandered by watching a not quite up to snuff kayaking video, I don't mind telling them. Good heavens, a video on the internet was a bore! Your sensibilities have been offended and you demand satisfaction. I understand this, but calling out other forum members as tacky is most ungentlemanly conduct. You ought to consider expressing your dissatisfaction using the level of discourse one finds on the typical ill-recieved Youtube comments section. DOOD Yr VID SUXXX BALLS LOL!!!!!

2. stuckonearth

stuckonearth Paddler

Say, that's quite good. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

If you're so sensitive that you can't take a little constructive criticism, you must have a difficult time coping with everyday life.

This is a friendly forum, it's also an honest forum regardless of what you say.

3. stuckonearth

stuckonearth Paddler

Great suggestion! Sensible and practical. Hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

4. nick

nick Paddler

I think you're missing the point steven, he was spamming pure and simple, he just found a different approach to it, not as obvious as most, that is "ungentlemanly conduct".

The gentlemanly thing to do is contact Admin. and get permission.. I mod on a couple other boards and believe me after posting we probably would have never seen him again.

5. Shuswap Kayaks

Shuswap Kayaks New Member

We were under the impression this site was about KAYAKING. Yet, it turns out to be an analytical forum where technicians judge over technical flaws on uploaded media. Wow!

Having read all of your comments, one thing stands out quite clearly - some of you just don't like a new member posting any video as a first entry. We'll grant you that as a benefit of a doubt.

We appreciate your negative comments and all of your critisism as this has resulted in controversy that made our clip quite popular for viewing through your site. What some of you tried to prevent in the first place has back-fired as the number of views here has tripled over that on YouTube!

Thank you kindly for your support. Controversy rocks!

P.S. For all those who are wondering what this fuss is all about, go to: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuswapKaya ... B4awNh-2q0

6. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

Controversy? Hardly. You posted a link to an unwatchable video and when people commented on it you threw a hissy fit. Why don't you enable comments on youtube? You might find the comments enlightening.

If I wanted to prevent people from viewing your video through this site I would simply edit the link out. We don't have anything against new comers posting pictures and kayaking related videos.

7. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

It's a shame that this is your "take away" from the previous series of posts. As it happens, we are (mostly) a site about kayaking and if you have gotten nothing but "negative comments and critisism (sic)" from what would otherwise be considered helpful advice, that's on you. It has nothing to do with "new members" or what video you upload or "preventing" anything.

8. nick

nick Paddler

Lol, i was going to leave this thread alone but you just make it too tempting.

Your response inadvertantly supports our argument's not your's. When i joined here i started reading, i mean i read everything, every trip report, technical info and what not. I got a feel for the people on here long before i ever posted. The last thing that comes to mind from the members here is "unfriendly", far from it.

You jump on here, immediately jump to trip reports, click on new thread and post up your vid. When exposed for the spammer that you are you lable people without haveing any idea what this board is about.

There was a good question asked of you here, "Why don't you enable comments on youtube?" I'll tell you why, because you do this on a regular basis and have run into this on many occasion's, you already know what the response's are going to be.

Thats it, i'm done. Time to stop feeding the troll :kiss

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

:big_thumb

10. bigbear

bigbear Paddler

:big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb

11. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

:popcorn: :clap:

12. Shuswap Kayaks

Shuswap Kayaks New Member

West Coast Paddler Forum - Unraveled over Shuswap Kayaks Vid

In order to promote kayaking in the Shuswap, we are constantly searching places & people to share our trip slideshows and videos with. We recently registered with West Coast Paddler, a site we became aware of for their many experienced members who freely share useful trip reports, pictures, videos and often good advise. What seemed as a good first posting to us, was to share a link to our Mara Lake trip video that we host on our YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4awNh-2q0).

In return, we enjoyed some unkind comments of those who couldn't care less. In the mean time, we have received a flood of sympathetic emails of West Coast Paddler members who regret that this event took place the way it did and they are encouraging us to continue to share our trip media with this forum whether some regard them as "advertising" or not.

A warm thank you to all of you who support Shuswap Kayaks. In return for your kindness, we'd love to share another trip media with you:

Mabel Lake, BC - Quest for Pictograhps - 2010 Kayak Expedition
    Search for native pictographs at beautiful Mabel Lake in British Columbia.
    Watch clip at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuswapKayaks#p/a/u/0/XKmLmNjEzYQ

13. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Re: West Coast Paddler Forum - Unraveled over Shuswap Kayaks

No, you received some valid suggestions that you erroneously took as unkindly.

Quite a lot different than the picture you're painting.

With regard to advertising, if the administrators feel that you are using this site for the sole purpose of advertising, your posts will be deleted.

14. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I debated about whether to comment on this, or whether it would be feeding the trolls. I finally came down on weighing in, since I’d like to give SK the benefit of the doubt, and assume they/he/she would really like to learn something from their experience.

SK: I work for a major outdoor retailer. Like you, we’re still getting the hang of marketing on these new-fangled intertube thingies and learning how to participate in social media. The potential payoff is a huge win-win – you get to engage with an audience who are self-selected as your target market, and they get straight-from-the-horse’s-mouth info about products and services in their area of interest. But it’s gotta be done right. I won’t attempt to give you a whole course on it – there are plenty of those around, and I’m still learning myself. But a few suggestions:

Remember you, like all of us, are guests here. Please behave accordingly.

If you’re pimping a product or service, or if you have a dog in the fight when a good or service is being discussed on a thread, declare it up front. Stealth marketing may seem clever, but it just comes off as sneaky and underhanded when exposed. It can also leave the audience feeling you think they’re too stupid to detect this sort of thing.

If you do put a foot wrong (and we all do now and then, whether in our professional or personal postings) a sincere “mea culpa” will win you more friends than passive-aggressive sniping back.

Cheers and happy paddling,

Philip

15. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Never mind the video, I would have grave concerns about my professional image in the kayaking community. I highlighted the points I found personally insulting.

And yes, I found the copyright notice most unprofessional and immature. You may want to find a counter that counts views when people are done watching the video for a more accurate measure.

16. stuckonearth

stuckonearth Paddler

What's a "sandy bagger"?

17. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

I just watched your video/advertisement on Mable lake. Mabel Lake looks beautiful. It reminds me allot of Slocan Lake that i've spent allot of time on, in fact i would like to come and visit Mabel Lake .
    Now if you would like some constructive criticism about the way the video is put together read further.
    Its just my opinion as a viewer. I would use half as many pics and let them linger so the viewers gets to see the pic longer. You don't need to cram allot in to sell the place , you just need to create the space for paddlers to feel it. I would reduce the print allot smaller and put it near the bottom of the screen for a shorter period of time otherwise it detracts from the view. Things like ,"interesting rock wall " you don't need , people will see that in the pic. "Pretty cool", again you don't need it, just show some beautiful pics. You don't need to sell the idea, you need the place to sell itself. Restrict the SK add to beginning and end. The music is good.

18. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Underminer or something to that effect I believe.

19. stuckonearth

stuckonearth Paddler

Thanks Sheila. I'm just curious to know what it is that I've been called.

I googled the term and got this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkhsifAdw5U[/youtube]

:shock:

I don't get the sandy bagger connection to the discussion but this video is hilarious.

20. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

i thought it was like dirt bag, but slightly itchy.