• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

SOLD! - Mariner XL "Excel' Sea Kayak

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Mariner XL "Excel' Sea Kayak -with new gelcoat, bulkheads and hatches

Mariner XL 'Excel' kayak

17'1" x 23.5"

The XL is the 'older brother' to the Mariner Max and shares its main characteristics - great handling in rough and windy conditions without the need for a skeg or rudder, and the ability to carry a load of gear for trips while still being a good (and quick) day-paddling boat. Don't be misled - the 'XL' doesn't mean Extra Large, though this is a great boat for the longer legged or bigger paddler.

I've added glass bulkheads and hatch recesses and new SeaLect Performance oval hatch covers, and repainted the red deck with tough 2-part LPU paint.
The Roberts Grey gelcoat on the hull was sanded and new gelcoat in the same colour was professionally applied by Blackline Marine.

This is a well-outfitted boat, in 'better than new' condition.

Front and rear compartments with oval hatches for easy loading.

Mariner sliding seat

All new deck rigging with perimeter deck safety lines and shock cord, and new end toggles.

For details on the XL and other Mariner kayaks (sadly no longer produced), please visit
marinerkayaks.com.

Here's link to the review of the Mariner XL from SeaKayaker magazine:

http://www.marinerkayaks.com/mkhtml/xlrvtxtw.htm

Price: $2000USD or $2600 CAD

A beautiful boat. I had one before buying a Mariner ll. I would recommend this boat without hesitation.

Another beautiful job John! I am really enjoying the Express you rebuilt. Friends are amazed at the professional work you did on my kayak. I can really recommend the XL you have for sale - not just your work, but also the hull design by the Broze brothers.

Thanks!
I really like working on Mariner boats - they are very well built, and the hull performance justifies their legendary reputation.
It's satisfying to think that some upgrades on bulkheads and hatches can get a Mariner ready for many more years of use.
Now, if I could just figure out a way to make a profit, or pay myself for labour :yikes: , it would be great! :big_thumb :D

I'll have another try at getting some pictures uploaded.....
side view.jpg
hull gelcoat.jpg
logo.jpg
cockpit.jpg
bow.jpg

Back