Maya's first kayaking, Lake Wash., Seattle, WA 27 May & 3 June 2018

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by alexsidles, Jun 5, 2018.

1. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

Ever since our daughter Maya was born, Rachel and I have been planning to take her out in a kayak. Maya loves doing things with her parents, she always has a great times in the outdoors, and she's very interested in animals. She's now 20 months old, so I figured it was time to take her to visit the turtles and ducks.

01 Maya eating bread.jpg
    Maya loves feeding the ducks. But she also likes feeding herself!

02 Feeding baby ducks.jpg
    Each time Maya gives the ducks bread, she says, "Quack, quack. Thank you, thank you." Such polite ducks they are!

03 Maya and Alex under the SR-520 bridge.jpeg
    Maya loved pointing out all the birds, trees, bridges, planes, and boats around Foster Island.

04 Following Rachel under the SR-520 bridge.jpg
    Rachel stayed out front so Maya could keep an eye on her.

05 Maya through a narrow swampy passage.jpg
    I took Maya through the secret passage where I sometimes find Virginia rails, but there were no rails today.

06 Maya dipping her hand.jpeg
    What fun to trail one's fingers through the water.

07 turtle.jpg
    Maya spots a turtle sitting on a log.

We had such a great time. Maya loved being on the water, and she was completely enthralled by all the birds and animals. Since we've starting doing these trips, whenever she sees a duck in one of her picture books, she says, "Quack, quack. Boat." Yes, and the boat trips will only get longer and better, my dear.

Alex

2. LAM

LAM Paddler

Adorable. Cute. Precious. Sweet. Lovely. Heartwarming. I could go on.....

Lila

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

So cute! What is that green thing on your deck?

4. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Good times you'll remember forever

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

Sorry I missed you, Alex. I was out there on May 26 and June 2. I towed that log out of the way that was blocking the the Foster Island slough at the footbridge. It took some doing. I put in at Montlake Playfield. How about you?

6. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

Pawsplus: the green thing is Folbot's totally ineffectual spray deck. Even when fully installed, it is worthless against any volume of water greater than a moderate rain. Here, I have it tucked forward to give Maya more room in the cockpit.

Jon: we launched at the Seattle Arboretum, right next to the log you moved. We'd seen that log during earlier, land-based visits to feed the ducks, blocking the path of canoeists. Thanks for moving it!

Alex

chodups likes this.
  7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Alex, those stock Folbot spray decks are really worthless. I hated the one on my G II so much that I fashioned a replacement from Hypalon, using some scrap hull material from them (RIP :( ) with Pygmy coamings as entries. Snapdragon neoprene deck/nylon tunnel sprayskirts made for easier exits, and no more leaks! That G II was a killer long haul boat with that spray deck.