• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Meal advice from an ultralight hiker

AM

Paddler
I've been prepping myself for getting back into backpacking this coming summer, after a hiatus of a dozen or more years. Since my body has aged and I was never fond of heavy packs to begin with, I've been doing a lot of reading of reports from ultralight and thru-hikers, the sort of folks who tackle the Pacific Crest Trail with as little weight as possible. LOTS of good ideas there for how to simplify gear and keep weight down.

I know kayaking is supposed to allow you to carry more stuff than you could possibly need, including a rich array of fresh foods, but more of us are gravitating toward smaller, sportier boats, so we too need to keep an eye on the volume of gear we carry. I found that tripping for a week in my Delphin this past summer was totally doable, and that 2 weeks would not be out of the question, provided that I keep my food simple. The following site gives very specific examples of how an ultralight hiker would eat:

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/16547/u ... meal-plan/

Not gourmet, of course, but calorie rich and simple to prep.

Cheers,
Andrew

Forgot to reply back to this post, but I've been following the rabbit hole for a few days now. It's an interesting world.. I read about two recent PCT speed records - the overall record set by a vegan (who had support and regular resupplies at trail intersections) and the second overall record, completely unsupported, set by a woman who ate mostly oreos, coconut oil and "rocket fuel": a ziplock bag filled with peanut butter and jelly and a hole to squeeze the mixture out of. Incredible stuff..

Personally, as a vegan myself, I sometimes find it hard to eat enough calories in a day haha. These articles have taught me a few things for sure. It's great to eat healthy, clean, whole foods, but sometimes you just need the calories whichever way you can get them!

We have a new "hiking" trail in the South Eastern side of Oregon. It meanders around an I think it is 800 mi long - nearly double the N/S PCT thought the center of the state. It's not my cup of tea as most the views seem to be the same you will see for miles and miles and miles traveling from Bend to Burns - flat scrub brush and desert. I listened to a presentation from someone who hiked it and he said he didn't carry a stove. His main fuel was peanut butter - though I think he kept them in their original plastic jar for packing/caching rather than transfer the ingredients to plastic bags. That would make sense because they have to be stored for many days until he reached the cache.

Fortunately, we don't have to worry so much about "ultra-light" on kayak trips. What limits me there is imagination. And of course I like to minimize cleanup and prep.

designer said:
What limits me there is imagination. And of course I like to minimize cleanup and prep.

Ditto. In spades. I actually find the cooking part of a group trip the most stressful aspect of traveling with others. Left to my own devices, I would rather eat really simple food, repeating meals as often as my palate will tolerate.

But the ultra-light approach has been an eye-opener for me. Since I made that initial post, I did a 10-day trip out of my Delphin, with food packed for 12 days. And I didn't cheat - my buddy was in an Aries, so he really didn't have much more room than I did.

Cheers,
Andrew

AM said:
I actually find the cooking part of a group trip the most stressful aspect of traveling with others. Left to my own devices, I would rather eat really simple food, repeating meals as often as my palate will tolerate.

:big_thumb
Me, too. Group cooking is generally an "include me out" situation for me! I keep the 'foodie' competition restricted to my kitchen at home. On a trip, it's 'fuel for the body' to get the job done'....

My longtime paddling companions also find a night after night gotta-cook-for-the-mob scene demanding, even when it is just two or three. But we all like to eat tasty food. Our compromise, which has worked very well, has two complementary aspects:

Each person cooks just one night, and the duty rotates. Those not cooking are free to lollygag about, get roaring drunk, shag each other, whatever, as long as they show up at mealtime, ready to chow down, preferably clean and/or sated.

Rarely, in a group of four or more, someone (or, two someones) has absolutely no talent or inclination for cuisine making. They get cleanup, every night. Or, they are responsible for appetizers, every night, and no skimping, dammit!

These two rules lead to a better combination of appetite appeasement and appreciation for feeding the masses ... over time. Both foodies and gluttons get some of what they enjoy ... and anyone who perpetually disses what gets dished up gets disinvited, regularly.

A group I paddled with had everyone responsible for ALL aspects of their own meals, right down to stoves, water filtration (this was on the Great Lakes), etc. It was a club actually and their standard practice, but I'm not sure whether written or unwritten. Seemed a bit odd to me for 8 paddlers to bring 8 stoves, etc. When I commented that it was unusual it was explained that they had migrated to this to ensure no complaints about food quantity or quality, no deciding who gets to use the 2 or 3 group stoves first, and no concerns about equipment failure or fuel shortage since in a pinch there were lots of back ups. I still think it was a bit extreme but it did work.

Astoriadave said:
Those not cooking are free to lollygag about, get roaring drunk, shag each other, whatever
Dave, I'm surprised you guys get any paddling done!!

Kayak Jim said:
Seemed a bit odd to me for 8 paddlers to bring 8 stoves, etc.
I always bring my own stove. There's no way I want to negotiate stove use when I need my morning coffee.

Kayak Jim's description of an all comers stove use mode may be an overkill safety feature ... in the event one or more of the group becomes separated from the rest: hot meal ashore, etc. All comers multiday ventures can get twitchy after a couple days or so, unless the people involved know each other well and have a history ... in which case it is not really all comers, I suppose.

I also, like AM, want coffee first thing, and do not want to borrow or beg a stove.

Andrew,
Although I probably know the answer, I am wondering how much water is used on the 5 day meal plan from the link you supplied on the original post.
I am not thinking hiking, just kayaking, but wonder if it is still the average of 3 litres a day per person.
I tend to be a bit of a foodie, even when paddling, on the weekend trips anyhow, but like the idea of going longer and not having to worry about coolers and so forth. (although I would REALLY miss cream in my coffee!) Besides that, cans of tuna, and so forth would work. I am not a fan of the ready-made freeze dried stuff, but too lazy to dehydrate meals myself...so far. This may change.
Anyway, water per day is?? I assume if you paddle a good distance, that you would need same amount of water as hiking, maybe more, if in the sun, versus under a canopy of shady trees?

Also, on a kinda separate topic, how many of you package each day's meals separately, versus all in a couple of dry bags..??

I hope Andrew pipes up, because I am curious about recommended water as well, even though we take a gallon a day [3.7 L] on the BC coast, rain or shine, more on trips to other locales in hot weather (80F plus), and do not count alcoholic beverages as "water."

On the other question: We isolate meals on short trips of 2 nights or fewer, but bulk carry staples, etc., on, for example, 14 day ventures, sometimes bagged by an evening's ration for the group, but not isolated with the rest of the meal's ingredients. Partly, that is because we carry selected types of fresh produce, and that needs to be stored separately from other foodstuffs (packed low against the hull, to keep it cool, and in mesh bags, not plastic). Spices are separated from everything else, because different people want more, some less of the powerful stuff.

Dave, as always, your replies are well appreciated. Wisdom should never be taken for granted! :clap:
I was confirmed on assumed qty of water. On your comment about booze. I say Water is Life, but Tequila is High Life :wink:

We always have a decent assortment of spices, and do not consider them as food, but as "bling" for food :big_thumb

Interesting on your take for fresh food, as that is sort of what I am struggling with on longer trips, that cream for coffee, maybe some fresh meat a steak, which is usually eaten within 2 at best 3 days, if not first day... We stay away from poultry as it is iffy unless eaten day one.
I need to get my fishing/crabbing game geared up better to supplement all that dehydrated stuff....

I will be interested on Andrew's take.

Rodnak wrote: Interesting on your take for fresh food, as that is sort of what I am struggling with on longer trips, that cream for coffee, maybe some fresh meat a steak, which is usually eaten within 2 at best 3 days, if not first day... We stay away from poultry as it is iffy unless eaten day one.

You probably do this already, but I should mention that well marinated beef, such as flank steak cuts, frozen solid on exit from home and well wrapped and bagged is perfectly safe the second night ... we have done that a couple times. Agree uncooked chicken is not trustable. I have never pushed cooked chicken past the first night. Finally, on cream: I have found some "UHT processed" organic lowfat milk in 8 oz containers which has a several month shelf life at room temperature. Brand is Horizon Organic out of Broomfield, CO. I believe UHT milk has been pasteurized to a higher than normal temperature. One of these, split between two oatmeal munchers, really hits the spot in the morning.

One trick for steak and hamburger I've been doing for the last few years is to sear them, cook them sous vide (vacuum seal and cook in a temperature controlled water bath) then ice and freeze. I'll put them (and some frozen vacuum sealed carmelized onions) in a soft-sided cooler. I'll usually eat them before day 4 or so. Haven't had a problem yet (which may be luck or an iron stomach).

We typically alternate between fresh eggs (not store bought) or Ova Easy with a lot of shelf-stable bacon.

I eat keto so I live off of meat, cheese and eggs. We make cauliflower rice some meals and take along a ton of low carb tortillas to function as edible bowl liners.

I usually carry as much water as I can - up to three dromedary bags between two boats - even if I "know" there is suppose to be water at the destination. In addition to be used as water, the bags also provide ballast. Though I generally put more weight in the back of the kayak (Mariner Express), one time things worked out where I put more weight midships. As it turned out, with the headwind that came up, it was just perfect for balancing the boat against the wind.

Also Oregon water - at least in Central Oregon (with minimal chemicals) is really, really good.

Back