Mid Coast ?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Tatlow, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

I have heard several opinions around the campfires but would like to see the opinions from this forum. If you were to paddle the Mid Coast, let's say from Port Hardy to Rupert would you go from Hardy and up to Rupert or vice versa?

I realize there are a ton of factors such as weather patterns (has the annual summer high built over the Northern portion, tide swings if you have particular campsites in mind, duration you can get the holiday time for {which might mandate a June focus for longer hours in turn where you want to work around certain substantial current areas while extending days given the sunlight potentials} ferry schedules and ????).

Your thoughts? Having been in the Mid Coast on four distinct holidays, for up to three weeks before, a full trip between Hard and Rupert have been on my bucket list for years.

2. parowlands

parowlands New Member

Nice part of the world! We've done a couple of multi-week trips based out of Bella Bella, and a few years back took three+ weeks to paddle from Bella Bella to Port Hardy, sticking to the outside as much as possible. This summer we're planning to do the section from the Alaska/B.C. border to Bella Bella; Prince Rupert north to Dundas Island, then south to Bella Bella along the outside passage; taking food for five weeks and will throw in some fishing gear just in case, although if it takes longer than that my wife may be putting our boats on Kijiji when we get back home.

We usually try to plan our longer trips to travel north to south. Our thinking is that in the summer, (July/August) high pressure systems and better weather tends to come from the north/north west, often giving a good push on longer travel days. When the winds swing around to southerlies, more likely than not it means a low pressure system moving in, bringing wetter, less stable weather when chances of putting in longer days is reduced.

This of course is a gross generalization; we've had lots of days trapped on shore with high winds and storms coming from the northwest, and plenty of nice days with a gentle breeze from the south, but on average I'd say travelling north to south has worked out better for us than going the other way. This is not based on any in depth analysis of weather records, just our general impressions from 15 years paddling on the B.C. coast.

Have a great trip; maybe we'll see you out there this summer!

3. chodups

chodups Paddler

My call would be north to south.