• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

MSR IsoPro canisters allowed on BC Ferries?

dr_penner

Paddler
Just planning ahead for a trip to Vancouver Island. Are MSR IsoPro fuel canisters allowed in passenger baggage on BC Ferries?

KP

Yeah, I've taken cannisters of fuel across on the ferry numerous times, should not be a problem at all. You're going to have fun out there Kurt, the paddling is amazing!

I believe 'technically' fuel canisters might be considered dangerous cargo...
But they do allow cars with gas tanks onboard...

I've only ever had to hand over my camp fuel once on the ferries - on a Northern route to Klemtu, when some keener crew member noticed my kayak, concluded I'd be camping, and specifically asked about fuel. They spirited it away to some below decks stronghold for the voyage, and handed it back when I arrived. Weirdly, it was the alcohol for my Trangia, probably about the least volatile stove fuel going. I checked it carefully in case they'd simply been running low on regular rum in the crew lounge...

I do not think it is such a big deal to carry a small canister with you. Every motor home and trailer is equipped with large propane tanks. BC Ferries requests owners to apply a sticky label on them stating that the tank(s) are turned off. On the other hand, Coho ferry to Port Angeles doesn't ask at all about propane tanks.

gregn

ps: I just checked regulations regarding dangerous goods carried on the BC Ferries:

Dangerous Goods

What do paint, laundry bleach, propane, car batteries, gasoline and hay have in common?

Firstly, they are all commonly used products and secondly, by their nature, if they are not handled with care, they can be hazardous to our health and the environment. Because of the added hazard, these are classified as being dangerous goods, and extra care is required with transporting them.

There are more than 3600 dangerous goods listed in the transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, and the regulations that govern them are quite complex. In the hope of simplifying the process, we have provided a few brief notes concerning the most commonly encountered products.

If you are planning to travel with us and have dangerous goods to carry, this will give you some initial guidance. If your particular product is not listed, feel free to call your nearest terminal and ask for help. We are at your service.

For products not listed in this brochure, please call the terminal of departure for information.

For those travelling on our northern routes, the Port of Prince Rupert imposes certain special regulations. Please contact our Prince Rupert terminal for further information at least 24 hours prior to departure.

Remember, all dangerous goods must be declared at the terminal ticket booth or to a vessel officer. Failure to declare dangerous goods is an offence under Canadian law.

You decide.

We've made lot's of trips on the Tsawwassen/Duke Point ferry with car/kayak and never thought to declare our fuel, but on the Port Hardy/ Prince Rupert ferry we park the car, load kayaks and gear on the ferry provided carts and have always declared our bag of fuel canisters, they store them in a room on the car deck and give them back on departure, easy breezy.

Dave R

I was asked how many fuel canisters I had in my car at the ticket booth. The right answer is two. None is better.

It makes no sense that a trailer can have two 25 lb tanks and we carry a few tiny containers.

After giving the wrong answer I was sent away to disposed of one.

Barry

Whidbey said:
It's spelled out rather clearly here... http://www.bcferries.com/travel_plannin ... cargo.html

Scroll down to find the specific verbiage about camp stove fuel.

It's not real clear to me and after reading what happened to dut I can see why dr_penner posted the question, It appears the ticket booth person in duts case was reading the rules for propane which allows only 1 container.

Although I've never been asked about fuel on the 6 trips we've made on the Tsawwassen/Duke point ferry, we are making another trip to Port Hardy this summer and having to discard 2 of my 3 containers would be a major pain! I think a phone call is in order for me to get clarification on these dangerous goods we use and follow the brochures recommendation.For products not listed in this brochure, please call the terminal of departure for information
Dave R

Whidbey said:
It's spelled out rather clearly here... http://www.bcferries.com/travel_plannin ... cargo.html

Scroll down to find the specific verbiage about camp stove fuel.

As fvfrggr said.....

True, but camp stove fuel (in that context) refers to liquid fuel like naptha aka 'Coleman' fuel (and alcohol as well).

IsoPro canisters contain 80/20 isobutane/propane mix and are pressurized. So the section to read would seem to be the one for propane, I think.
Passenger vehicles are permitted to carry one cylinder not to exceed 15kg

There's enough energy in even a small canister of IsoPro fuel to do a fair bit of damage. Still, the regs seem a bit silly if the canister(s) are stored inside a kayak on the open vehicle deck. Especially when RVs with (3?) large propane tanks-not subject to any regular inspection (?)- are allowed on the same deck.

Back