• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

My COVID-19 Project : Thomasson Panthera

Then I fillet using the zip-lock bag (like a cake decorating bag) to dispense the filleting mix (epoxy and antisag Cabosil)

Another hot technique for this [in that odd kayak design shown a while back where I had about 200 linear feet of filleting to perform], is to use syringes [10ml and 60ml] with wide needles [from lee valley] chucked in a caulking gun.

This is a surprisingly useful approach to many syringe techniques because: 1] you have good precise control over the placement of the tip 2] you can have many tip sizes from miniscule to large, 3] you are not handling the bag or the syringe - hastening setup by hand warmth 4] both syringe sizes actually fit in the caulk gun!

The non ratchet gun is by far the best [and cheapest] because the 'caulk' metering can be more gradual and precise - admittedly still a little messy.
Here's a 10ml syringe with small needle in a gun:
Syringe&Clkgun.jpg

Then I fillet using the zip-lock bag (like a cake decorating bag) to dispense the filleting mix (epoxy and antisag Cabosil)

Another hot technique for this [in that odd kayak design shown a while back where I had about 200 linear feet of filleting to perform], is to use syringes [10ml and 60ml] with wide needles [from lee valley] chucked in a caulking gun.
Thanks; I'll add that to my 'bag of tricks'. :)
How do you load the epoxy into the syringe? And will thickened mix pass through a needle? For bulkheads, the mix has to be thick enough to 'hang' upside-down without sagging.
For laying in fillets for bulkheads, I use a fairly hefty bead of epoxy mix ... perhaps it's not required, but I need it that way to inspire confidence and fill the gaps! :)
And, sometimes there's not much room to work.
But the caulking gun would help a lot in some situations.

Have you ever used the pre-thickened (System Three?) filleting blend sold in caulking tubes, with the mixer nozzle?

Last edited:
I mix it in the syringe using the graduations as the mixing guide. You can get fairly large aperatures either from base syringes themselves or lee valley has [still, I hope] a bunch of differing needle sizes that screw right on. The mix can be quite stiff as you have the huge pressure advantage of the caulk gun itself - sort of overkill of the pressure of your whole hand.
And if not a lot of room, I bet you could use one hand and get fairly decent accuracy and very good extension as the tip is about a foot beyond your one hand.
I haven't used the premix as I'm sure [guessing!] I have way way more control, metering, and mix variation using the gun method.

Just for 'data points' :
  • I snip off the corner of the Ziplock bag and the opening is in the 1/4"-3/8"- 1/2" diameter range.
  • An average bulkhead takes about 4 'pumps' of WEST epoxy - so about 3 oz / 100mL of mixed epoxy. then the antisag (Cabosil) probably doubles that volume

The fillet has to be within reach of my hand for shaping and 'finishing'.

BTW, I use a dry chip brush to give a light swipe to the fillet to smooth out any bumps left by the curved shaping tool. I also use a tongue depressor sanded to a skew chisel shape to remove any unwanted epoxy ridges from the bulkhead.

In the 'not a lot of room' department - forward hatch on the Panthera 507 is a 10" round opening. Getting a light, my head, and my arm in there is tricky! :)
The boat is inverted and I work from a sitting position on the floor, usually.
For the day compartment, it's a matter of working with a mirror, which shows why I'm not a dentist! :) "Left-right, up-down" get all mixed up!

These caulking gun and Ziplock bag tricks are a big step up from my first fillets years ago where I was trying to 'glop on' epoxy with a stick or 'brush it on'.

Last edited:
In the 'not a lot of room' department - forward hatch on the Panthera 507 is a 10" round opening. Getting a light, my head, and my arm in there is tricky!

OMG! I'm having a claustrophobic attack just reading that. I need to go outside quickly!

Back