• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

My first post here; an introduction

watersprite

Paddler
Hi,

Though I've been lurking here for quite some time, this will be my first post (as far as I can remember, anyway), so I thought I'd introduce myself. I do already recognize some of the regulars here from other email lists and forums, so some of you might recognize me as well. Anyway...

My name is Melissa, and I live on the central WA coast. I've only been paddling for a little over ten years now, but from the very first moment I sat in a rented kayak and flailed away with the paddle, I knew that this would be a great passion of mine for the rest of my life.

Up to the point of my first kayak paddling experience, I'd been living in large, crowded cities all of my life; grew up in Seattle, lived in L.A. for five years, then in NYC for 15 years. I'm a musician ('cellist), so I lived where my music took me. About eleven years ago, my father was diagnosed with Leukemia, and I decided to come home to Seattle to help my mother take care of him as he went through various treatments. He only survived for another year, and I was glad to have spent that time with him after having been away for so long. I took an apartment in the city, and whenever I wasn't at my parent's house, I rode my bike all over the place; especially to places where I could ride along the water (riding down to the ferry terminal and taking the boats to various islands for rides was a favorite activity of mine).

One day, shortly after my father died, I was riding my bike near Lake Union, choking on the fumes of the city bus I was following, and I noticed a "kayak rental" sign at a building on the waterfront. I'd been admiring these beautiful little boats for a while, so I decided to give it a try. During that first hour of paddling, I dreamt of paddling coastal waters, and of paddling with whales. I dreamt of living in a place where I could wake up to the sounds of the surf rather than jackhammers and sirens, and I dreamt of paddling these lovely little boats for the rest of my life. The very next day, I went back to that rental shop and purchased a season pass, so that I could come in when they opened, take out a boat, and return it at closing time. For the next three months, I paddled every day, all day, and tried as many boats as I could find from three different rental shops around the lake. After just my first couple of weeks, I was paddling out through the locks and into Puget Sound. By the end of the summer, I'd purchased my first boat; a CD Caribou. I collected all sorts of other gear as well, until I was fully equipped for my next move...out to the coast. By the end of that year, I was renting an oceanfront home, and I've been here ever since (now I'm dreaming of moving to coastal Alaska).

Once I moved out here, I continued my every day paddling, exploring all the water I could find out here, from coastal rivers and lakes, to bays and the open coast. I met the resident Gray Whales, and I've been paddling with them for the past ten years. I've been living my dreams of that first hour in a kayak.

I still have my trusty old Caribou, but five years ago, my fleet grew when I built a S&G Arctic Hawk. About that time, I also discovered the joys of the Greenland Paddle, and from the first moment I dipped a GP into the water, I never looked back (ever since, my old Euro paddles have only been used by visitors who come to paddle with me now and then). Now my little fleet is about to grow again as I prepare to build my first Greenland style SOF boat.

I love to paddle everything from quiet wetlands, to rivers, to lakes, to everything coastal and a bit offshore. I even love to paddle in very lively coastal/offshore conditions where I find myself in that calm state of hyper-awareness; that "in the zone" feeling, as it were. While living in this area, in addition to paddling up and down the WA coast, I've also enjoyed paddling around the San Juan and Gulf islands, and various waters around Vancouver island. As mentioned above, my next dream is to move to somewhere along the SE/SC Alaskan coast; the more remote the better.

Finally, perhaps because of having lived in such noisy, crowded places most of my life, paddling has offered me a unique opportunity to seek a very special kind of solitude, so while I don't mind paddling with friends now and then, most of my paddling is solo.

Sorry for going on so long, but when I think about my love for paddling, it's difficult to control my sound-byte challenged condition.

Melissa

Astoriadave said:
Shoot us some photos of that Hawk, hey?

Hi Dave,

Some friends have photos of me paddling the Hawk--somewhere--but I don't have any of those to share. However, if you click on my "profile" button, I've included a link to few pictures taken of it just after I finished building (I took it to Seattle when I went to visit some friends, so those pictures were shot there). Click on the "Arctic Hawk" album to see. This boat is back in my shop for some re-varnishing at the moment, so I've been paddling the Caribou again (it sure is nice to have a spare boat around for times like this!).

I'm glad you came out relatively unscathed in the storm we had last week. I was without power, water, and land line phone from Sunday night through late Friday night. Though I feel bad for those who suffered more severely, I actually kind of enjoyed my quiet candlelit week by the fireplace. Even got some nice paddling in from Tuesday through the rest of the week.

Anyway, I've been up all night working on something for someone, and now it's finally time to sleep. Good morning!

Melissa

Mark_Schilling said:
many of us here share the same passion for paddling that you do!

same passion, smaller scale :cry: I wish ( I really wish,) I can make my life like that.
My heart beat high when I read your story, Melissa.
I don't want bigger house and yard than I need, I don't want fancy clothes that I can't wear on my kayaking trip, I don't want fancy car that can't carry my kayaks,
but I do want to be able to paddle till my end and be able to paddle in variouse condition like you do. Long way to go ( for the skill part).

Mark_Schilling said:
I think you'll find that many of us here share the same passion for paddling that you do!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the welcome!

About the shared passion thing...

I kind of figured as much. :D Anyone who spends their off-the-water time online discussing paddling with other paddlers who are also temporarily off the water has got to be showing signs of a great passion for paddling!

In addition to learning so much by reading/participating in forums like these, as a primarily solo paddler, this is one way for me to share my obsession with my fellow paddlers without actually having to paddle with any of you nutcases! :wink:

I only have one rule that I try to follow when it comes to paddling forums and email lists; unless I'm forced to stay inside and heal from an especially exciting maytagging event (or, as one mildly understated Aussie paddler once stated: "Ran into a spot of bother and broke my boat into three pieces"), I must always spend more time on the water than online. One has to strive for at least some reasonable degree of balance in life, after all. :D

Melissa

sushiy said:
same passion, smaller scale :cry: I wish ( I really wish,) I can make my life like that.

...but I do want to be able to paddle till my end and be able to paddle in variouse condition like you do. Long way to go ( for the skill part).

Hi Sushiy,

Keep wishing, and your wishes can come true. That said, I don't think it's necessarily about "scale" as much as it is about our level of passion and joy...whenever and however we can live the journey that inspires us. Relatively speaking, my own paddling life can be seen as "very small scale" in comparison to many--in terms of both variety and skill level--but this doesn't take anything away from the sublime joy and gratitude I feel every time I'm out on the water...any water.

I hope that I'll never feel like anything more than a beginner (maintaining a pretty good record of this so far without much trouble at all), as I know that there's always more to learn, more skills to develop and refine, and more wonder to behold (even on local waters I've paddled hundreds of times). Just like with my music, if I ever felt that I've truly "mastered" something, it would be a sad day...with a bleak and boring future to look forward to. If I ever do come to such a day, I'd hope that someone would be there to slap me upside the head with their paddle and knock some sense back into me. :D

If you feel the passion, you're already living the awe-inspired journey that so many can still only hope to find for themselves.

Melissa

Welcome to the site, Melissa. Nice to have you here (always room for another thought-provoking paddler/builder).

I have to agree with you about sushiy -- she's definitely already there. 8)

Dan_Millsip said:
Welcome to the site, Melissa. Nice to have you here (always room for another thought-provoking paddler/builder).

Thanks! Thought-provoking, eh? Hmmm...I'll have to think about that. :wink:

Dan_Millsip said:
I have to agree with you about sushiy -- she's definitely already there. 8)

Yes, I've lurked here long enough to feel comfortable agreeing with myself about sushiy as well. :D She's definitely got that refreshing and inspiring paddler's spirit; she recognizes the magic, and so it has become her. I love to see happy paddlers, always looking forward to that next dip of the paddles and where it will take them.

Melissa

You guys are sweet!!
Yes I am blessed to have found my love of paddling and live in the Northwest where I can drive short hours to get to those great padling spots, and without worrying about the sun burn too much :wink: .

Welcome aboard, Mel...

And good on you for becoming a builder. I was in Seattle two years ago to attend the Redfish R2K6. That was my first real chance at ocean paddling. I loved it. While reading your introduction I was reliving my R2K6 experiences and feeling the joy for ocean paddling that you wrote about. I have been building for 7-years now (wow, has it been that long?) and just can't get enough of paddling. You'll hear more about my own adventures from time to time. In the meantime, buy a good waterproof digital camera and post poST POST those pictures of the places you paddle through. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and am thoroughly landlocked and froze outta any watersheds during the winter. I, therefore, live vicariously through the eyes and words of anyone who cares to post write-ups/images of the places they go.

Robert N Pruden

Re: Welcome aboard, Mel...

RobertNPruden said:
I live in Edmonton, Alberta and am thoroughly landlocked and froze outta any watersheds during the winter. I, therefore, live vicariously through the eyes and words of anyone who cares to post write-ups/images of the places they go.

Hi Robert,

I'm so sorry that you're landlocked and surrounded by solid water! What's a boater/builder doing living so far inland anyway? I can imagine that you've got nice rivers and lakes to paddle during the liquid water season, but if you love to paddle saltwater--and paddle year 'round--you need to go coastal! :D

In that part of Alberta, do you even have any hills? If so, here's some paddling you could do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flztm1fF6s

Anyway, though I do sometimes write more lengthy "trip reports", here are a couple of little things I've written in the past that you might live vicariously through for a few moments...

[this first one I wrote after waking up in the middle of the night, looking at the full moon over the sea, and just had to get into my boat and go for a paddle]...

Sings My Heart

dark purple sea
dreams in the light
of magic and moon
watersprite, awake!
it's time to dance

give me your hand
i'll take you where
gravity floats
and light sings a song
of uncharted depth

sings my heart
this silent song
sings my spirit
these waves of joy
give me your wonder
it's time to float

i recognize this
my waterborne life
this undeserved gift
this dance of tides
bring me ever home
my sea of moonlit dreaming

And this (explains the signature quote at the end of my posts):

I went paddling today, and looked around at the familiar scenery. Each time something came into view, my mind presented me with a word. Driftwood; jellyfish; wave; seal; current; eagle; cat's paw, and so on. Then there was the bird that I didn't know the name of, and I thought about all the words in my mind, and about the missing word. I liked the missing word best of all. Once again I remember...it's time to forget.

Even the loveliest of words can only dance around the truth of something...or at best, walk us to the door and let us go. The irony of me writing these very words does not escape me as I dance around the truth of even this moment. Here I am, trying to write about how I love it when the words fall away, and perception once again joins breathing as an unspoken act of nature.

I went paddling today, and it took me, like so many times before, to where nothing has a name.

Re: Welcome aboard, Mel...

Methinks we need to do a trip report/poetry exchange, Mel...I have some wonderful reports and poems inspired from paddling and more. Email me privately, I'd like to learn more. robertn.pruden@gmail.com. Now about that salt water...I have easy access to it...I add salt to every pot of water I put on the cooker...that's about as close to it as I get during winter. I have thought about moving to Vancouver...just isn't going to happen yet.

Robert N Pruden

Astoriadave said:
That second piece is so elliptical and Zen, Melissa. A real piece of wordcraft. It knocks me out.

Thanks Dave, I'm glad it knocked you out (I think...is that a good thing?).

I have a complicated relationship with words. Obviously, they can be necessary and useful, and they can even be beautiful, but they can also get in the way, and prevent us from truly getting to the heart of the matter. Sometimes we forget that our words are not really the thing they attempt to define, as "the thing" will still be what it is without our words to describe it. Does a whale call itself "whale"?

Astoriadave said:
Step aside, Barry Lopez ... 8)

Well, I don't think Barry Lopez has to worry about me, but it's an honor being mentioned in proximity! :D

Melissa

Back