NC15 Excursion

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by DarrenM, Nov 8, 2009.

1. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

2. rider

rider Paddler

I have never seen a NC boat in person,but my 2 cents on NCs in general is that they look like good looking,lightweight,fast boats for day trips. They also look like pretty hard tracking boats if you got any sort of a load or heavier paddler. And from my experience with screw-in hatches, not a very good feature(like getting jammed by sand).
    Their 17 footer is a boat I'd like as a fitness boat/recreational racing.
    *cough* *80's Nordkapp HM* *cough cough*

3. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I noticed they seem to have really abrupt aft ends - sort of a built-in keel / skeg. I'd think (based on just how it looks looks) that they probably track really well but may be not be all that maneuverable unless you really get it up on a hard edge. Just thinking out loud here though - don't really know for sure.

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

And no forward hatch?!?! In a boat called an 'excursion' model? I'd assume there's no forward bulkhead too, which pretty much demands the use of a sea-sock if you mess up somewhere and don't want to lose the boat!

5. Mr Green

Mr Green Paddler

Someone chopped off the stern end :cry: ......

6. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

yeah thats kinda funny looking..

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I emailed them, It DOES have a front bulkhead but the compartment is NOT accessible.... Silly :roll:

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

So what's that all about? Is it a way to enforce some sort of flotation scheme? Really does sound questionable.

9. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

The emails I received were very brief....

"Thank you for your inquiry. Yes it does have a front bulkhead."

So is the front compartment accessible?

"No it is just flotation."

I still like the boat. But the 15'er with the two hatches.

10. chodups

chodups Paddler

No front hatch? Maybe that's why they are 1/2 off. Seconds without front hatches.

Kidding..........

11. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Ya its kinda weird... I dont know who would want a boat with sealed up unusable space... Some of the 17s are like that too. Bizarre.

But I do like the lines...and the price.

12. rider

rider Paddler

Whatcha gonna use it for? If you're something of a masochistic contortionist, you can put a hatch into the bulkhead itself,provided it's flat.

13. Mr Green

Mr Green Paddler

looking at the lines on the nc17, the hull is very rockpool/tideraceish. Well, except the stern section.....

14. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I dont know... Just sort of looking for a shorter day/play boat. I have a milestone birthday coming up and I figure a new boat is a good present to myself :)

What I should really do is wait/save up for a xcite or Isel. Not as short. but they sure are sweet.

15. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

lol I was spell checking when you posted that Mr. Green :lol:

16. rider

rider Paddler

You know, i doubt it'll "play" very well if our definitions of play are anything alike. I think the Whiskey 16 is probably the best bang for the buck in a glass playboat.(But i don't know how it would hold up to being bashed into things) I still want a Romany HV/Surf one day.

17. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

They are probably not alike (im not as aggressive) but I hear ya..
    Im not a huge fan of the Whiskey 16.
    Romany would be nice...

18. Possum

Possum Paddler

hated it...

We had 2 NC boats: a 19 ft and a 15. The 19 was fast, hard-tracking and a total bitch in cross winds. I routinely landed to cram driftwood into the stern to push that skeg-like tail into the water. The 15 wasn't much better in that respect...just a litle slower. I liked the hatches, but others complain of leaks between the collar and hull. All NC boats use the same seat/combing/cockpit dimensions, so you won't get a snugger fit with a smaller boat. The inverse has merit: Big people can paddle a 15 ft boat without having to grease their hips. The construction and pricing of the NC boats are enticing. They may handle better with a full load (never tried it). The folks that you work with at NC (in Tacoma) are the best. Final impression: I love my Gulfstream. The Telkwa was a great boat. Don't miss the NCs at all, and can only recommend one for light duty in lakes/rivers in fair weather. I paddled a Native Craft Aleut (prototype) at a symposium...15 ft ,poly, cheap...good tracking, quick handling, good speed, well-outfitted... absolutely stunning and a must-see if you're after a smaller boat. I may get one just for rock gardening and newbie-loaner.

19. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

good info, thanks Possum.

20. Possum

Possum Paddler

addendum

The rationale for NO HATCHES is that there's actually a class for fast touring kayaks (vs surf skis and the 20'x19'' needle boats). The racers have no intention of using the space for storage and opt for simpler/cheaper/lighter. The hull retains the molded 'flat spot' so one can retro-fit factory hatches anytime. The 17ft gets the most use for racing, but the 19ft is actually faster...just a real chore in wind. If NC was the only boat available, I'd use a 17, and be the guy who carries all the extra crap nobody else does...just to get it lower in the water. For all their shortcomings, NC boats ARE fast...they're also stiff in waves and slap (vs slide through) waves. Edge response happens late and with considerable effort...initial stability is strong. You can also order them with a Feathercraft rudder...hmmm....that would solve the weathercocking issue....and you'd have a fast,stable,comfortable,manageable boat that looks awsome and will get you laid more!